X-pipe - any difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBODYLS3

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2011
i used pypes header back system with x pipe and side exit tail pipes. i put borla pro xs mufflers on, which you can see straight thru, and it is very quiet. i dont know if it is the x pipe or the mufflers, but its all most too quiet. i think ls motors have a sound all their own. must be something to do with the firing order.

malibuandy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2012
GhettoRacingKid said:
The question is what is the main purpose of the car?

It is a track car right now, I wouldn't do it for the sound difference but I would for performance gains. If there are none to be had I will not put it on.

Thanks pontiacgp!

Does anyone have any other info regarding a performance increase or not after installing an x in the exhaust?

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
I think the x-pipe makes noticeable power gains mainly on severely restricted engines and with a ton of dyno time and tuning, like NASCAR restrictor plate stuff.

http://www.stockcarracing.com/techartic ... ewall.html

Maybe no better no worse on a high HP drag car. They do sound pretty awesome though.

Hey GP, we always used two 3-1/2's into a 5-1/2 Coleman setup on our 2-bbl. Most of the super lates used regular dual exhaust with no tie-together like you said.

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
malibuandy said:
GhettoRacingKid said:
The question is what is the main purpose of the car?

It is a track car right now, I wouldn't do it for the sound difference but I would for performance gains. If there are none to be had I will not put it on.

Thanks pontiacgp!

Does anyone have any other info regarding a performance increase or not after installing an x in the exhaust?

If you really wanna see performance gains your better off using straight threw mufflers. I regret putting on flowmasters. I didnt know better at the time, When the funds allow ill probably change them out. Going to see how it runs open headers with the weight added in the car. see if there is any difference.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
UMI Sales said:
I think the x-pipe makes noticeable power gains mainly on severely restricted engines and with a ton of dyno time and tuning, like NASCAR restrictor plate stuff.

http://www.stockcarracing.com/techartic ... ewall.html

Maybe no better no worse on a high HP drag car. They do sound pretty awesome though.

Hey GP, we always used two 3-1/2's into a 5-1/2 Coleman setup on our 2-bbl. Most of the super lates used regular dual exhaust with no tie-together like you said.

hmmm.."After two days working with Giles to develop an exhaust system for the team, Butler headed back home to Utah. Before he left, dyno readings showed a gain of 4½ hp using Butler’s custom-made exhaust system."
and that was back in 1995 and on an engine that was about 800 hp that's only about 0.05% increase on a dyno

another reason why we don't use an H or an X is if you ever get hit on the exhaust it makes it much more difficult to get the exhaust sorted out. Plus it make the exhaust pipes easier to bend in case of a hit so the pipes won't jamb the headers and screw them up

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
have you considered a "Y" pipe? this of it this way: it has the same scavenging effect of an x pipe but with less weight, and only 1 muffler. just my $0.02

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Basically all Y-pipe, H-pipe, X-pipe are exhaust equalizers/scavengers. The effectiveness, HP gain/loss/none, has much to do with engine, pipe sizing, location of the "equalizer" They all have positive effects if used correctly, and none to detriment if used incorrectly.

Here is a good article to explain the science: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/engine ... 505em_exh/

iameggor

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2011
Montana
I did the research as well before I decided what I wanted to do with my exhaust, I have a olds 455 going into hooker super comp headers, into dual 3in exhaust with an H pipe, Flowmaster Super 50 mufflers and tail pipes that leave straight out the back. My main intention was for sound I wanted a low tone without a drone in the cab when driving around, I love the sound now, It is decently quiet at idle for 3in but still sounds good when you stab the throttle. I had straight threw mufflers on the car, Pypes violators, that came with the kit but the mufflers alone made the drone pretty bad in the car, I love the flowmaster sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor