X-pipe - any difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibuandy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2012
I currently have 3 inch duals on my car with 40 series flowmasters, dumps before the axle.

Any opinions or experiences with adding an x-pipe to my system? Did it or will it make a difference?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it will change the tone of the exhaust, in circle track racing you can use the H or X and no one uses either.

malibuandy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2012
I'm looking for power difference. Will it help make more power?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
You'll pickup some power while quieting the exhaust down some. An X-pipe will tend to give the exhaust note more of an exotic sound similar to running 180 headers.
An H-pipe will give similar performance but will have a deeper sound.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
I also have full length and an x-pipe into dynomax mufflers side exit and I love the sound and also no drone.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
I read an article in High Performance Pontiac mag a few years back and they did a test on both, the results were that the 'x' pipe flows better than the "h" pipe but I of course read this article after I had the "h" put on my new exhaust system with Flowmaster 40's and it definitely has a low rumble and gets noticed. But in when I had it done the "H" was a new thing, then racer 'X' came out.

malibuandy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2012
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to look into installing an x into my system over the winter.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
unless youi want to do it for the sound of yoru exhaust I would't. I know there are articles that say you get more HP with an X or a H but both of these configurations have been tested on the dyno and the track and saw no measurable increase in power and did not take any time off the laps. These tests have been done by teams that spend alot on R&D and if they could cut 1/1000 of a second off a lap with an X or H they'd be doing it. Here are the rules for the Late Models at one of the tracks we run at and they allow both configurations but no one uses an X or H. It's a waste of materials, labor and money.

13. EXHAUST SYSTEM
A) Under chassis or cross over headers allowed 180 degree type headers are disallowed. (Primary
tubes crossing over to opposite collector.) Maximum primary tube size of 1 3/4" and maximum 3"
collector allowed. Crate iron lung magnetic steel headers allowed. Only 1 maximum 3" balance
tube between the right and left header system is allowed. (Magnaflow Cross over Part #10792
approved). Exhaust system must exit the right-hand side of the car in front of rear wheels. Must not
be any higher than 12” from the ground and must not be any farther forward than 30” from the
centre of the rear axle. Magnetic steel only (no stainless).
B) MUFFLERS: mufflers must be removable for inspection, and must remain unaltered in appearance.
A decibel reading of 92db or less at 100 feet will be enforced

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
The question is what is the main purpose of the car?

Taking it from a track perspective. I went threw the same thing. asking the same things. the conclusion was that no one loses power from an X they only stay the same or a little increase. But it does add weight.

I ended up going with an X pipe and when I go to the track next year (dont think ill make it back this season) I will be pulling the exhaust off and replacing the weight to see if and what I am leaving on the table if anything.

The exhaust is set up to pull off at the track as it is a "street car"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor