Yellow or Red Top Optima

Status
Not open for further replies.
To clarify...

Yellow Top:
Like someone pointed out these are deep cycle. They withstand constant draining and charging. Good to power heavy sound systems.

Red Top:
These are good starter batteries as they are generally rated with higher CCA or cold cranking amps. Not good for constant drain/charge.

User Reviews:
Many people report bad experiences with Optima batteries over the last few years. Prices have gone up. Customer service seems to have gone down.

My experience:
I have two batteries in my engine bay, one to the starter -- I got the red top. I had to return it, as it was defective from new. Paid $260 (2 years ago). The replacement seems to be holding well. I wish I didn't choose the Optima.

The other battery in my engine bay is the Kinetic High Current power cell (also a dry cell battery).

Now Kinetic batteries have nothing but good reviews. I wish both of my batteries were this brand. It comes in several shapes/sizes and power ratings and will mount in any position (upside down etc..) and they are good deep cycle batteries and last long, according to user reviews. They also have low internal resistance, like the capacitors used in sound systems, among other great features.

I have the KHC1800 in my car. It's about the same size as the stock battery.
http://www.kinetikaudio.com/2009/produc ... &P=KHC1800

kinetic-khc1800-blue-high-current-car-audio-battery_180531168345.jpg

I'd say check them out... although I found the local prices kinda high.

454muscle said:
To clarify...

Yellow Top:
Like someone pointed out these are deep cycle. They withstand constant draining and charging. Good to power heavy sound systems.

Red Top:
These are good starter batteries as they are generally rated with higher CCA or cold cranking amps. Not good for constant drain/charge.

User Reviews:
Many people report bad experiences with Optima batteries over the last few years. Prices have gone up. Customer service seems to have gone down.

My experience:
I have two batteries in my engine bay, one to the starter -- I got the red top. I had to return it, as it was defective from new. Paid $260 (2 years ago). The replacement seems to be holding well. I wish I didn't choose the Optima.

The other battery in my engine bay is the Kinetic High Current power cell (also a dry cell battery).

Now Kinetic batteries have nothing but good reviews. I wish both of my batteries were this brand. It comes in several shapes/sizes and power ratings and will mount in any position (upside down etc..) and they are good deep cycle batteries and last long, according to user reviews. They also have low internal resistance, like the capacitors used in sound systems, among other great features.

I have the KHC1800 in my car. It's about the same size as the stock battery.
http://www.kinetikaudio.com/2009/produc ... &P=KHC1800

kinetic-khc1800-blue-high-current-car-audio-battery_180531168345.jpg

I'd say check them out... although I found the local prices kinda high.
Wow, Optima's are $129 here at Sam's club in Arizona.

I've had bad experiences with both red top and yellow top optimas. I used to work at an audio shop and we sold them; I would say at least 50% came back bad

Well considering that I only paid $34.99 plus tax for my yellow top, I am very happy with it. 8) I haven't had a single problem with it. Its only been about six months, so I hope nothing comes up with it.

What about interstate batteries? we sell them where I work and everyone swears by them. I have one in my Olds Silhouette. We don't sell many at all though. I've worked there 10 months and only seen one come back. But I haven't even sold one in 10 months that I worked there. Just wondering what you guys think of them. I had a red top optima. It was great other than a month after I bought it it was corroded so bad It wouldnt crank. I put new bolts on the cables and cleaned up the contacts. Autozone said they do that a lot.

In regards to the Interstate I have had one in my Bu since we first bought it. It's probably 5 or 6 years old. Every winter it gets unplugged and just sits there. Every spring I hook it back up and the car starts right up. Never had a single issue with the interstate.

Interstates are definitely not what they used to be. They cut a lot of their lead from their production and used mixed metals. They have also decreased the size of their "tombstones" which in turn decreases the amount of cranking amperage that makes it to the surface of the battery.

It depends as much on other things as the battery itself. Buying a normal battery and fixing a few problem areas instead of just a fancy battery, usually gives longer battery life. the charging system, ground circuits, starter motor condition, how the electricity is used in the car, how much electricity is used without the alternator/motor on, charging between startup/drives. Fix these things and any cheap battery will last a long time. My cutlass has used a walmart 👎everstart for 3 years, after it was sitting in the garage for 2 years and before that ran on a car for a year.

Our old rusty frames and gunk filled engine bay along with 25 year old wiring isn't going to return a ground to the whole electrical circuit. One tip is to run a couple fat grounds to different places if you're having trouble and any grounds you can find to the fat ones. Maybe two to different parts of the frame, one to the engine bay, one to the firewall...big grounds (along with main grounds already in place).

... a battery charger does wonders for battery life. I try whenever I can or have time to charge my battery completely before starting, that way its not putting strain on the battery when the charge is low (the worst thing for battery life)

can't go wrong with ac delco. Have a friend with an astro and his has now 6 years on it, mine has lasted 5 years since new. I attribute this to the charging systems that are out now, they're so much more advanced than our g body's.

I think some applications do need the extra output of these batteries, or cranking amps in certain weather conditions with certain engines, but if you're asking as something like, hey these look good should I buy them? then no.

67rstbkt said:
I've had bad experiences with both red top and yellow top optimas. I used to work at an audio shop and we sold them; I would say at least 50% came back bad
any battery you sold at an audio shop, 50% would've come back bad 8)

I use interstates, (sell 'em at the shop) never have had a problem with 'em, but the next go around on my cutlass I'm going to use 2 Kinetics... great batteries, and with the stereo I have planned it'll need 'em.

I've had nothing but problems with Optimas in customer cars, most of them were classic cars that sat in garages and the problem seemed to be when the battery was run dead and left to set they wouldn't charge back up.. and the warranties weren't that great..

But my dad and I for years have run Interstates with no problems.. My dad restores john deere tractors, and everyone has an interstate in it.. and I can't tell you the last time we've charged one.. they fire right up every time. same for the boat, the geo tracker that never gets driven, my cutlass that's been parked since Nov. the mower, the snow mobiles, and everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor