Yet another Intrepid Fan Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Dodge Stratus/Plymouth Breeze fans also fit and cool very well. I am running them and have had nothing but issues with controllers and relays. A toggle switch with good heavy wire and a 30 amp fuse inline is the way to go.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
The Dodge Stratus/Plymouth Breeze fans also fit and cool very well. I am running them and have had nothing but issues with controllers and relays. A toggle switch with good heavy wire and a 30 amp fuse inline is the way to go.

You really should not advocate for people to do this. Anything that demands more than a few amps should be switched with a relay. Most people use them without issue when correctly wired.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I am running them and have had nothing but issues with controllers and relays
If you are wiring the relays correctly and still having issues I am thinking either they are really low quality or you are putting more of a load on them than they are rated for, it never hurts to give yourself a safe margin above what you need especially with electric fans that have a very high amp draw at start up.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Schardbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 10, 2016
I am running a Taurus fan on high with a $20 controller and a glow plug relay (looks like a starter solenoid but rated for continuous power).

The inline fuse, relay and controller were under $100, simple, adjustable and beyond safe.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I am running a Taurus fan on high with a $20 controller and a glow plug relay (looks like a starter solenoid but rated for continuous power).
Yup, had to look that one up, glow plug relay and it does look like a starter solenoid.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Yup, had to look that one up, glow plug relay and it does look like a starter solenoid.

the continuous starter looking relays are used on stuff like winches and sorta overkill for a couple of fans. The starter relay is not made to use on a continuous basis

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
why not use a blower motor relay? they are designed for high amp continuous use. one for each fan.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have had thermal switches die, adjustable controllers adjust themselves, usually turn on at 250 degrees and multiple relays die. Always somewhere like the track where you really need it. I couldn't stomach nearly $200 for a GOOD controller, anything decent for reasonable? I was tired of making a 1/8 mile pass then looking at my temp gauge going critical.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have had thermal switches die, adjustable controllers adjust themselves, usually turn on at 250 degrees and multiple relays die. Always somewhere like the track where you really need it. I couldn't stomach nearly $200 for a GOOD controller, anything decent for reasonable? I was tired of making a 1/8 mile pass then looking at my temp gauge going critical.

for our circle track cars we always had a few large refillable fire extinguishers that we filled with water and compressed air that we would use to cool down the rad if the car was running hot when it got back to the pits

Schardbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 10, 2016
My setup is extreme overkill for a single fan. My fan pulls 70 amps at startup and I do not trust any Bosch style relay for that type of load even if it is rated that high.

The glow plug relay is rated at 110amps, the controller is rated at 15amps (low side of circuit) and a 100amp fuse protects the battery positive.

Overkill yes, but I daily drive my car and in 90* weather I never even think about my coolant temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor