Status
Not open for further replies.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hey guys, looking for some input here.

I currently have an 8.5” open rear with 3:73 gears in it from an ‘85 442, and have been searching for some time for a posi for it.
Unfortunately I’m not very well versed in the different types of GM posi’s available out there and y’all have put the fear of “gov bombs” in me.

I came across this listing in the local online, and with doing a little research it is indeed a 3 series carrier for an 8.5” with 28 spline axels. (Based off of the casting number provided in the ad).

Question is, is this a desireable style of posi to use?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-transmissio...p_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Good deal? Yay or nay? Scoop it up or run away?

Let me know what y’all think.
Thanks,

D.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It looks good to me and at a good price. I don't see any signs that the rear end ever ran hot and the clutch packs look fresh. I would grab it asap.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Looks to be the Eaton style and yes it is rebuildable. The Gov Lock bombs look like this
7007840060_large.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture, this one has already suffered catastrophic failure!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Looks to be the Eaton style and yes it is rebuildable. The Gov Lock bombs look like this View attachment 85758

Awesome! Thanks very much for the info. The seller is 3 hours north of me so I can’t exactly inspect it in person before I buy it. I want to make 100% sure it’s the right way to go before I contact him.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
100% sure? No danger there. You got advice from the internet. :LOL:

• Agree

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
100% sure? No danger there. You got advice from the internet. :LOL:

I know, right?
:ROFLMAO:
I guess I should’ve phrased that differently, as sure as I can be before I make the commitment...

Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thanks Steve. Any idea if this is a rebuildable style?

yes it is rebuildable, it's an Eaton, I have a 67 Eaton in my GP and it's still on the original clutch packs. Aside of the clutch packs still being available there are aftermarket carbon clutch packs and there are different rated S springs to adjust the point the clutches let the wheels turn independent. If you ever want to test the carrier just jack up one side of your car, leave it in neutral and use a torque wrench to turn the wheel off the ground to see the breaking point. If my memory is working I believe the breaking point is 80 lbs with the stock S spring.

• Informative
Reactions: 4 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Awesome! Thanks very much for the info. The seller is 3 hours north of me so I can’t exactly inspect it in person before I buy it. I want to make 100% sure it’s the right way to go before I contact him.

I'm thinking the guy is pretty honest or he would have got rid of the surface rust and made it look real pretty.

• Agree

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
yes it is rebuildable, it's an Eaton, I have a 67 Eaton in my GP and it's still on the original clutch packs. Aside of the clutch packs still being available there are aftermarket carbon clutch packs and there are different rated S springs to adjust the point the clutches let the wheels turn independent. If you ever want to test the carrier just jack up one side of your car, leave it in neutral and use a torque wrench to turn the wheel off the ground to see the breaking point. If my memory is working I believe the breaking point is 80 lbs with the stock S spring.

That’s some quality information there Steve, thank you. As you saw in the ad it’s loose so I won’t be able to test it until it’s in a car, but that’s still useful info for sure.

I'm thinking the guy is pretty honest or he would have got rid of the surface rust and made it look real pretty.

I agree, he easily could’ve attempted to clean it up more for resale but didn’t. I just hope none of the internals are rusted like the outside.
I’ve contacted the seller, and he says it is indeed still available. Hopefully we can work something out where he would be willing to ship it down to me. Other than that, I’m gonna pull the trigger on it thanks to your guys’ help.
Thanks very much, it’s really appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor