yet another trans question for the 2004r

Status
Not open for further replies.

layedoutregal

Greasemonkey
Jul 3, 2009
Waukegan IL
i got my car running, kept the stock 2004r and swapped the rear end for a 373. drove it around the block and it seems to take a min to shift either 1 to 2 or 2 to 3, and when i slow down to come to a stop it almost acts like a stick shift, now the 3 wires coming up from the trans are still connected to the computer, i did an engine swap so none of the old harnesses going to any of the emmissions crap was used, so from what i can tell those are the only wires that are connected from the big loom underneith the hood, i have no heater box so i can trace wires if needed, its an 87 limited, so another question is can the computer work for the trans without having anything else hooked up? i know its got power i just want to eliminate the wire loom, to clean it up a lil and with out having to buy a kit for the torque converter which i yet to understand how they work.. also does my trans have a vaccume line going to it that i would need to connect it to somethig if it does.. also it shifted fine before the engine swap so its only been sitting for a year..thanks

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
What carb, distributor you using?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if your talking about the loom of wires that go through the firewall under the heater box then that's the wiring for the computer. The engine compartment only has two harnesses and the junction box for the two are locate on the firewall below the wiper motor. When I wanted to clean up the wires and get rid of the wiring for the air pump and other components I just replaced the right side engine compartment harness with a harness from a non computer G body

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
make sure your tv cable runs the right angles, or else say good bye to your trans, what carb are your running? depending on the carb did you get the correct addapeter for the trans cable? thats very much needed, if you cant find one you should fab one. i know holley makes one for there carbs you can find it on summit or jegs. i went threw alot of junk yard 200r4s before i realized this problem haha. i would not drive it untill you got that angle right, bad things can happen. the three wires is for the lock up and that only happens in 4th gear, your gonna want to make sure that works too, thats important also if your runing in 4th gear, it will increase the life of the trans, without it it there will be slippage in the converter and will overheat easyer. someone removed the computer from my car so i rigged a toggle switch to it, you just need a 12v source and a ground.

to figure out the angles for your trans heres a good place to go, http://www.shiftritetransmissions.com/ and go to documentation all the way down at the bottom right of the screen then go to gm 700r4 tv linkage documentation at the bottom of the list, that will show you how to get the right angles for your cable if you didnt do so. (700r4 works the same as a 200r4)

layedoutregal

Greasemonkey
Jul 3, 2009
Waukegan IL
ok im running an hei, non vaccume advance and an edl 750 electric choke, the bracket for the kickdown cable seems like it stretches the cable a lil too far, i do need to fab a bracket for it, or i have an o-rileys in town ill see if they have on, now the air pump was taken out by the previous owner so the hose under the booster i trimmed it out there was an oil psi sending unit cable i cut off as well i put an after market one in,

layedoutregal

Greasemonkey
Jul 3, 2009
Waukegan IL
ERIC87442 said:
make sure your tv cable runs the right angles, or else say good bye to your trans, i would not drive it untill you got that angle right, bad things can happen. the three wires is for the lock up and that only happens in 4th gear, your gonna want to make sure that works too, thats important also if your runing in 4th gear, it will increase the life of the trans, without it it there will be slippage in the converter and will overheat easyer. someone removed the computer from my car so i rigged a toggle switch to it, you just need a 12v source and a ground.

to figure out the angles for your trans heres a good place to go, http://www.shiftritetransmissions.com/

ok so if the tv cable if im correct is not connected it would cause it to act like a stick shift (feeling like down shifts) correct or no? cause i didnt have it connected when driving it. now for the 3 wires, if i were to snip all the other wires that i know go to a harness that im not useing would the 4th gear lock up still work? i really dont want to rig a toggle as i know ill forget lol, and that link helped out, my cable is free from binding just seems like if i were to hook it up it would stretch out too far, i can pull it out to the limit as stated in the link but it would exceed that point with the bracket i have so ill check out online, thanks for ur help guys..

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
ok so if the tv cable if im correct is not connected it would cause it to act like a stick shift (feeling like down shifts) correct or no? cause i didnt have it connected when driving it.

I wouldn't want to find out...

It is imperative that on your 2004R transmission the Throttle Valve (TV) Cable gets adjusted properly, or DAMAGE WILL OCCUR to the transmission. If you are unsure about the proper adjustment needed refer to a General Motors service manual for additional information and reference.

Function of the TV Cable: Many people believe that this is a detent downshift cable and that this is the only function that the cable performs. In actuality, the TV Cable controls line pressures, shift points, part throttle downshifts and detent downshifts. The cable functions similarly to the combination vacuum modulator/cable systems found on other automatic transmissions.

layedoutregal

Greasemonkey
Jul 3, 2009
Waukegan IL
right..i totally understand, there was a link posted above that shows how it should be mounted properly. im going to the store after the kid gets out of school to try and find the one i need, i looked on summit and found one for 20.00 so hopefull i can find one without it being shipped..thanks again for the input

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
there should be an aftermarket bracket to hold ur cable and a hook up to your linkages that puts it at the right angle edelbrock makes all that stuff im pretty sure, i got a holley carb and i found the brakets for that. and if your cables too short they sell a one size fits all kinda deal on summit u just cut the cable and use the cable stop they give you. once you get that you gotta addjust the cable. if you cant find out how, pm me somethings it gets a little tricky, they say u just let it ratchet out but sometimes its a little more in depth then that

layedoutregal

Greasemonkey
Jul 3, 2009
Waukegan IL
i picked up the linkage imma try and fit it all tonight, now for the hard question, the wires on the computer can i snip every one but the 3 going to the trans? and if i did would the lock up still work??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor