Yet another transmission swap question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
OK, as some of you know, I picked a 1980 Malibu about a year ago, that's a factory 305 V8/4 speed car. I haven't been able to drive the car much yet, because of some mechanical issues, along with the time & funds to look after them. The times that I have driven the car though, I've thought that it would be really nice if it did have 1 more gear.
I would eventually like to put a stronger engine in the car-300HP would be nice.
Now here's where I get to my question. I have a T5 gearbox here that came out of a mid '80s S10, and I'm wondering if it might work in this car. I know that some people are going to say that its not strong enough to handle that kind of power, while others will say that the shifter location is too far forward. The thing that I've noticed about this car, and the Iraqi Malibus that I've owned over the years, is that the stock shifter location is pretty far forward, as some of these cars were available with the manual transmission and a bench seat. Where the stock shifter comes out of the floor is almost tucked under the ash tray below the radio and heater controls, and its ahead of the factory console that came in the car, so I'm thinking that the shifter location on the S10 T5 might not be too far off. I know that I'm looking at a shifter location with the T5 that will be more "centered" in the middle of the transmission tunnel. This T5 is set up for a mechanical speedo drive, so that will work in my favour. I have test fitted the T5 to a standard Chevy bellhousing that I have here, and it will fit. I know that there is an issue with the input shaft length on the T5, that will require some trimming. If anyone has any info on that, I'd appreciate it. I'd also like to know if the transmission mount location on the T5 will be the same as the original 4 speed Saginaw transmission.
I know that there are stronger internal parts available for the T5, that will make it more durable for higher horsepower applications, and with a good rebuild, I'm thinking it should be up to the job, and be cheaper than going with an aftermarket alternative.
I'm going to enclose a couple of photos, to try to illustrate what I have here, to give you a better idea of what I'd like to do. I'd appreciate any thoughts or ideas, and if anyone else has tried this swap, I'd like to hear from you. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSCF2032.JPG
    DSCF2032.JPG
    798.1 KB · Views: 1,083
  • DSCF2033.JPG
    DSCF2033.JPG
    824 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCF2034.JPG
    DSCF2034.JPG
    798.3 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCF2036.JPG
    DSCF2036.JPG
    800.2 KB · Views: 460
  • DSCF2037.JPG
    DSCF2037.JPG
    797.2 KB · Views: 262
  • DSCF2038.JPG
    DSCF2038.JPG
    801.1 KB · Views: 440

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
To make sure it will fit measure from the bell housing ears to the transmission mount (14") & to the rear seal (21.5"). If it matches the Saginaw then go forward use it to measure how close the T5 shifter will be to the stock shifter location to see how much metal work is needed. Others have posted about the F Body unit fitting but it is tilted to the drives side. The later ones might be World Class spec like the Ford unit. For the shifter go with a Hurst & the same chrome stick as the Comp Plus for the Saginaw. As for the strength of the Saginaw, I have seem to only get Vega 4 speeds & they hold up behind strong small blocks. Had one in my old '72 Monte behind a 300 horse small block that had torque that would pull stumps all day long.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I wonder what the gear ratios are in the S10 T5. Considering the WC T5 is rated for like 315 ft. lbs. I fear the S10 box might not be sufficiently strong. I understand and totally agree with your desire for overdrive. I had a Saginaw in my car and I'm going back with a WC T5.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
i too am concerned about gear ratios. do you know what ratios are in the saginaw now? compare them to your s10 t5 trans ratios. if you have the tag that came bolted to the trans you can go to britishv8.org and compare ratios. looks like most s10 trans came with a 4:1 first gear and an o.d. of .72:1 up to .86:1
my other concern is where the shifter comes thru the floor board. it will be in middle of the trans hump but may be too close to the dash to work for you.
as far as the input shaft length, look for a "jaguar that runs" (jtr) put out a book about swapping v8s into s10s. there should be something on the web concerning this.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
also that T5 with the course spline came from a V6 truck and you'll need a shorter bearing retainer. The T5 is a WC however, you can tell by the torx bolt in this picture, a non WC has a hex bolt....

dscf2032-jpg.55256

Last edited:

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
i didn't know that wc s10 t5s came with mechanical speed-o-meter. what bolt pattern is it? gm or ford?

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks to everyone for your help.
Steve, I've never heard of a WC V6 T5. Do you have any more information on this? Does the WC designation mean that its a stronger transmission?
I did some research on the T5 that I have here. According to the tag on this transmission, it has a 3.78 first gear ratio in it.
I also remember reading an article several years ago about a product from a company called Hamilton Intakes. Its a spacer that is installed between the V6 T5 and the bellhousing, which will space the transmission properly, to allow for the extra length of the input shaft on the V6 T5. Anyone here have any experience with this?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The T5 used on the 4.3 should have an input shaft the same length as one for a small block. It should be 6.5" long. Keep in mind that up yo the intro of the 60 degree V6, almost all RWD GM engines can use the same manual transmission with the engine specific bell housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor