Your Favorite Tools

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
My SK ratchet and combo wrenches in my master tool box and cab down in the basement and my Proto Challenger ratchets and wrenches out in the General shop cab from Harbor Freight out in the shop. I got to the point where I was bone tired of chasing tools from one location to the other so cloned them.

Out and out best tool is the 1/2" drive Ultra Pro Johnson/Power Bar that I call "Long-Arm" Neighbor across the street was trying to remove the retaining nuts off the spring shackles on a set of leaf springs on an early 50's Dodge pickem up and those nuts and bolts would not move; until I introduced them to LongArm. Fasteners were too hot to handle from the friction generated during removal but off they came.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
This is my newest favorite tool I bought from HF a couple weeks ago, this works great for those odd spots like pulling cotter pins from my trans linkage.
Plus it is spring loaded ,

Attachments

• IMG_20211023_231620019.jpg
    IMG_20211023_231620019.jpg
    888.3 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: 3 users

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
I got this small 1/4 drive socket and ratchet from proto tools about 25 years ago and its been so reliable I always kept it under the seat of my S-10 but now it's got its place in the garage because I thought I could replace it with this crapsman 12 point set but the teeth disintegrated doing ignition coils on my sister's car smh.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
This is one of my favorite tools. I have used it to cross reference GM part numbers and aftermarket numbers between cars what will fit…and to figure what the hell this random oil filter was for that’s been sitting on the back shelf for years.
1635082337295.png

While the application occasionally gets me the wrong part (twice on the Scion, but who’s still fixing a 15 year old cheap car that was only made for three years?) it does not get frustrated when the line forms behind me. And it will tell me what other model years or body styles it fits. Oh, and pictures and sometimes dimensions, depending upon the part.

Last edited:
  • Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
A good quality pair of vice grip pliers

Reactions: 1 user

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Currently my favorite in my box is the Long handle Gearwrench 3/8" 90T Ratchet:
s-l1600.jpg

I've owned and used several different 3/8" ratchet handles over the years and this is bar none the best I've ever used, I've only had it for a handful of years and wish I bought it as soon as it was released. fits in the tightest spots and the longer handle helps get down into places and provide more torque/leverage. A metric set of the original ratcheting wrenches have been in my box for over 20 years and still work great.

For many many years the Snap-On SDDP42 #2 Phillips has been another favorite in my box and still is.
Snap-On-SDDP42-No-2-Phillips-Screwdriver-Yellow.jpg

It's always a perfect fit for any #2 phillips screw head especially those on motorcycles that always seem to be made out of the softest material that even looking at them wrong would cause them strip. BUT now you can get a Pittsburgh for $2 that's nearly as good! https://www.harborfreight.com/2-x-4-inch-phillips-screwdriver-94707.html I dunno if the HF will last a lifetime but @ $2 ea I don't think it matters. I use them all the time at work (lots of #2 screws in our system) and it's never stripped a screw, where craftsman, kobalt and husky seem to strip screw heads often and if it walks off I'm not gonna be sad.

My box has mostly Craftsman with others sprinkled in here and there but these 2 are 2 I'd be pi$$ed if either one went missing.

I Started building my box with Craftsman when they were relevant and had a lifetime guarantee, but today I don't think I'd build my kit around Craftsman. Me personally as a hobbyist I'd look at Tekton; they are inexpensive and unlike Harbor Freight when you buy a set you get a complete set as in no skipped sizes (even Craftsman pulled that). After being introduced to the brand by one of the young guys at work I was impressed and when I had to get some Metric Line wrenches I opted for the Tekton set and they've been good although it's not like I'm using line wrenches on a regular basis.

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Guaranteed the most urgent accessory to go with that saw will be a pair of high suppression ear muffs and a full face shield and dust mask. Metal?? Thing must howl fit to wakes up the dogs.

Vice grips?? You can never have enough pairs of vice grips and with the various jaws and claws that catch, and even the itty-bitty ones are great for tight places.

For #2 Phillips screws, the hack is to take the screwdriver and carefully blunt down the point so the tip sets down deeper into the "X" in the screw head. This allows the screwdriver to grab the screw more completely and cuts down on skip. This is particularly useful when the screw is aged and corroded and getting a solid connection is problematic. Doesn't take much, just a couple of gentle passes with a fine tooth machinists file. (Or a dremel tool with a micro-grinding disc on it.............................................(HEE< HEE< HEE< HEE< HEE<)

Nick

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
My favorite tool is my hammer collection.
Or maybe my 15 amp grinder.
or my new dewalt battery die drinder.

Wait a minute. not a fair question. Like asking what's my favorite set of female boobies. The ones in my sight right now, of course.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor