Your Local History and parks (not political!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Yes, even I get tired of writing political tirades from time to time, so here's another idea entirely. Have you ever explored the history of the area you live in? Old battle grounds, factories, abandoned train stations, etc. I have, and I tend to take pictures of some of the places I have visited. I have visited the sites of a few minor Civil War and Seminole War battles which I never would have imagined were in my back yard! I am going to attempt to go tomorrow to visit the ruins of an old homestead that is in the woods of a local nature park. It was the home of a former Civil War soldier, but curiously, there are no pictures online. I can only find references to it on Civil War Re-enactment sites ( I never understood the need to do that!), but no one has posted pics! According to a Xeroxed sheet of paper given out at the park ( J.B. Starkey Wilderness Park in New Port Richey, FL) there are the remains of a log cabin, a grave sight, a "early 20th century" car, and farm structures. I had tried to find it once before, but failed as there are signs leading to a parking lot but no marked trail I could see. I went again a few days ago to use the park's bike trail ( I rode 13 miles on a BMX bike! Now my knee is acting up again :( ), and was reminded it was there.

Maybe I am lucky in that there are so many interesting places to go around here for free. Within 20 miles of my house I probably have 10-15 different parks, bike trails, old fishing communities, etc. to explore. I usually visit them when I go out exploring in my car or truck and am never without a digital camera. It's one of the reasons I love cars so much. A car can take you to new experiences and places you never imagined before.

Anyhow, what have you explored of your local parks and history? Post pics if you can. I'm curious if anyone else likes doing this sort of thing as much as I do.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
i think history and stuff is pretty cool. I am at college at iowa state university and we are home to the world's first computer. that thing is HUGE so that is kinda cool. BUt there is always alot of history when it comes to universities

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
When was that computer built? I have always heard that the first electronic computer was Colossus which was located in Great Brittan at the Blechley Park code breaking and intelligence center during World War II. It was used to crack the Enigma, Enigma II and diplomatic codes used by Germany.

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
I'm from St. Louis. There's more there than I could really put into a post, just the things that I've seen and done.

I love that place and I can't wait to go back.

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
As far north as you can get in the city, bounded on three sides by Bellefontaine, Riverview, and the river.

And if you want to talk cool and unique things (per this thread), the guy who created the City Museum is doing something similar with an old cement plant that's just about a quarter mile from where I grew up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor