ZZ4 Intake Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Im thinking about upgrading the intake only, everything else can stay, figure something with a little more oomph than original can muster.... Edelbrock Performer RPM(non gap).

I've used this same manifold back in the mid90s when i had a built 355 sbc and i was quite happy with it, given that engine had a more agressive camshaft installed, Comp Cams 270H(224 I&E / .470 I&E / 110 LS).

Anyone here that ever had a ZZ4, still do or perhaps knew someone that used this manifold, if so, how impressive was it for you, i think it'll be a good upgrade and it couldnt hurt, exept the pocket book, i remember back when i bought mine brand new, it was just a little more than the $99 performer intake at the time, now almost twice the price. smh

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
without making any other upgrades that would complement the functionality of this intake vs your current one is it really worth the price of admi$$ion to you?

Reactions: 1 user

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Last Malibu I built had a ZZ4, swapped to the RPM air gap and noticed a big difference in power along with a new Holley 750 (Built TH350, 2800 stall, 3.73 gear, MSD billet dist./Digital 6, blaster 2 coil). Buddy had a ZZ4 that went HOT cam, 1.6 rockers, and air gap (built TH350, 3500 stall, 3.90 gear, Holley 750, MSD billet dist./6AL, blaster 2 coil), even more impressive. Both engines bought brand new and modded by us.

Reactions: 2 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I think the zz4 manifold matches the performer. I would agree stepping up to something better would show you a few hp.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
If you are staying with the superior factory Qjet carb, then the ZZ4 is a decent choice for a spreadbore. Also it has many of the low emission provisions most aftermarket intakes lack. Moreover, the ZZ4 has bosses on the underside for mounting a oil shield to prevent oil coking in the lifter valley. Many aftermarket intakes lack shield bosses. They pop 7p used pretty often but always check intakes for flatness. I did have to slighty bend one of the mounting tabs for the throttle cable bracket to make it fif the ZZ4 intake. The ZZ4 intakes are really made by Edelbrock for GMPP.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have the Edelbrock RPM Air Gap on my 355 SBC in my Regal and that intake works really well, as far as vacuum ports you can always drill and tap for one, I do this on all of my BBC's since the Edelbrock single plane intakes I use have no provisions for a port and either do the 4500 carbs I run.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
The performer eps isn’t much better than the manifold on there. I use them in place of a performer with a Holley carb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor