hood scoop ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacman350

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2012
monticello, Ga
im trying to figure out what hood scoop i want for my 84 cutlass. I want a 2inch tall scoop similar to a regular z28 style but with out the ridge in the middle because to me it dont fit the lines of the car. Let me hear some ideas. Thanks in advance

I want to make a W-30 style that bolts on but fits between the body lines of the hood. I also want it to be functional so I can set up my TPI filter to feed through it. The chrome molding will be filled with the scoop and the header will get a piece to fill that as well. I think it would look nice molded in, but the '80s seemed to celebrate all things bolted on, so I will keep with that theme. :D I haven't decided if I want the top on the scoops black or leave them grey as the car is.

JayR

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 26, 2012
Lindenhurst, NY 11757
Hey Pacman! Very sweet build you got going on there, diggin the rev monster you put in it! We just finished putting a bs no name cowl scoop that we got off of ebay for like 80 bucks and glassed it onto our buddies 85. Flat style without that trim line up the middle. When you shave all the trim off the car that thing looked amazing! Its pretty cool too, all black with black steelies and the moon caps. Kind of an old school idea but I think you might dig it. Ill try and get some pics up! Good luck.

pacman350

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2012
monticello, Ga
thanks dats the same look im going for is all black im already remove all the trim and vinyl top i love the blacked out lookbut i want a da hood scoop and th hurst olds trunk wing and jm painting the bumpers to no chrome at all

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
xitabl442 said:
I want to make a W-30 style that bolts on but fits between the body lines of the hood. I also want it to be functional so I can set up my TPI filter to feed through it. The chrome molding will be filled with the scoop and the header will get a piece to fill that as well. I think it would look nice molded in, but the '80s seemed to celebrate all things bolted on, so I will keep with that theme. :D I haven't decided if I want the top on the scoops black or leave them grey as the car is.

The front edges of the scoops need to follow the front lines of the car too, not like the currently available ones that have that unfortunate angle to them.

pacman350

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2012
monticello, Ga
ive beed looking at a scoop on laureneng.com dats sorta looks like the scoop on the black 87 fex darth vader cutlass . its a smooth scoop with out the ridge in the middle like i want but it has 2 louvers at the back of the scoop and are the complete width of the scoop.
Lauerneng.com these are the 2 scoops Lex-14-b and Lex-14-c. I want one of these because the have the inside mounting flang so i can bolt it on and the fill the small gap where the edge of the scoop and the hood meet. the less filler i use on the hood the better.

Intragration said:
xitabl442 said:

The front edges of the scoops need to follow the front lines of the car too, not like the currently available ones that have that unfortunate angle to them.
I know that's why I need to make my own. I want the front edge to line up with the signal indicators on the fenders.

Burnhard

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2010
I have yet to see one that I liked enough to buy and run on my car.The cowl hood looks the best and I think you can buy them in steel now for the cutlass. I say ram air looks better than a hood scoop.

I finally got around to building a mock up of what I want my hood to look like. These are made out of cardboard just for dimensional consideration. They are about 1" tall at front and 1/2" at the rear. The final ones will be fiberglass and bolt on. Opinions?
normal_SANY1222.JPG

normal_SANY1219.JPG

normal_SANY1216.JPG

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
xitabl442 said:
I finally got around to building a mock up of what I want my hood to look like. These are made out of cardboard just for dimensional consideration. They are about 1" tall at front and 1/2" at the rear. The final ones will be fiberglass and bolt on. Opinions?

Looks nice but I'm not sure they would work that well because they're too far away from the front of the car. I could be wrong though. Looks better than the current available ram air scoops. I would add a more gradual curve/slope to the front though. Would make it look less 'blocky' and a bit more 'sleek'.

How about mocking up a similar style scoop but have the openings in the back? It would be a 'twin cowl induction' scoop but kinda have the look of the ram air scoops. That would be different that's for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor