Belated intro - 1979 Cutlass Calais

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
Alright, so I've been posting for a little bit, but I should probably put my G-body up here now, shouldn't I?

So, I purchased this baby back in mid-2002. It was technically a 2-owner car. A man bought it new in 1979, but got shipped out elsewhere in the military, so when the car was but a year old, he gave it to his mother. Fast forward to 2002, and Mom's retired daughter had to sell it, because Mom, sadly, was starting to develop Alzheimer's and couldn't drive anymore. At that point, the car had 46,811 miles on it.

So, I had plans. I had a 455 in a 1972 Olds 98 that I was occasionally driving, and I was going to pull the engine and either just swap it in, or do a full blown rebuild. Eh, layoffs, etc. Time and no money. Or money and no time. Or, sometimes, no money or time.

The engine was pulled out of the Olds 98 in 2005. And still it sits on an engine stand.

Anyway, here I am now, having started to drive the thing a little bit in the past year after almost a decade of sitting in the garage. Now it's close to having 48,000 on the clock. Absolutely rust free, which is doubly impressive considering the car lived all its life in the northeast US.

Here are some pics I took in August 2013 after washing the car. It's my baby, and I want to build a big-block for it, but of course I want to do it right.

Attachments

• IMG_9886.JPG
    IMG_9886.JPG
    662.4 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_9887.JPG
    IMG_9887.JPG
    631.1 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_9888.JPG
    IMG_9888.JPG
    698.8 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_9889.JPG
    IMG_9889.JPG
    706.9 KB · Views: 581

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
I'll have to snap some of the interior. Except for the BADLY sagging headliner and some slight warping of the dash padding, the interior's great. But rather overwhelmingly red. Not that I'm complaining . . "It's TOO red" my ex-girlfriend used to say . . "IT WAS THE 70s!!!!" I'd retort!

(I could've sworn I had one or two pics of the inside, but can't find them!)

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
No such thing as too red. Just add that to the list of reasons she's an ex. My car came with the same hubcaps and I was shocked at all the positive comments members made in my build thread. Not my favorite but you sure don't see them too often. Your car would look great with some H/O rims and RWLs.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I love those colour match wheel covers and the deep red with white top. That car is in incredible shape. I had the same wheel covers in 15" on my 81 Delta 88, just not colour match. If you rebuild the 455, I say go sleeper and paint it GM blue and no chrome. There are many quality lighter pistons and couple of good rods available too. Procomp heads are better than iron but don't look stock. You need the clamshell lower profile mounts. Other than the A/C box and A/C brackets, everything will bolt up.

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
Nice car, I like the older Cutlass body myself. You better watch that " surprising peppy 260 " thing in your signature I stated a few times that the 260 in my car ran way better than I would have imagined and I was chastised and nailed to the cross for not immediately making a boat anchor out of. I have done a ton of work on my motor, I never bothered to post any of it on here but if you want to keep what you got for now and make it a little more modern I can send you info on what I have done. Very nice car for sure.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
You guys won't be getting any 260 hate mail from me. Mine came with a 305 and I wish it was a 260. I think power and economy are pretty similar but at least with a 260 you don't have to chase parts if/when the day comes that you might choose to go bigger. Aside from "Olds inna Olds" points, I always thought the 260 was just a really smooth running engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor