My Bu's "Re"Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I never figured I'd be doing a build thread but, I thought some of you guys might enjoy this. So here goes.
Some of you may know that last year I had a little "help" in spinning a bearing in my 400. The motor is still in the car as of now, so I'm not 100% sure as to the exact source of the slight knocking. Anyway instead of rebuilding the 400, I decided to build one of the 350's I have. This one is one-piece rear main seal engine and is roller cam capable. This will be one of the cheapest builds you will see. Call it a hack job if you want, it won't bother me. :D

The goal will be to get the Malibu back up and running before my daughter decides to enter this world. Her due date is May 3rd. I never got to bring my son home in my hot rod, but hopefully my daughters first ride will be in a blown bu.

By the way, I don't have a garage. The engine is being built on my back porch and if need be will be installed in my stone driveway. I will add details of the engine as I post pics of the progression. Any comments are welcome as well as any questions. On with the pics!

Here is the new bullet in all her horrible glory:
100_0472.jpg

100_0484.jpg

100_0484.jpg

Another project I will be tackling is a dressed up front end for the bu. Nothing major just a different grill, mostly. I will post pics of this process here as well.
Grill and headlight bezels starting point:
100_0486.jpg

100_0486.jpg

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Here's a little update. I got the motor torn down to the bare block, cleaned it a bit and painted it. Can't seem to find my cylinder hone, but once I do, I will begin the assembly of the short block. If I can remember I will pick up a plug to replace the knock sensor. Here's some pics.

100_0490.jpg

100_0492.jpg

100_0493.jpg

100_0494.jpg

And I figured I throw in a shot of the engine bay in it's current state. That is the 400 this 350 will be replacing.

100_0495.jpg

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
jrm81bu said:
Call it a hack job if you want, it won't bother me. :D

Hack job! :lol: just playin!

That's a tight deadline you're up against! I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya that it gets back together in time! :banana:

More pics!

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Thanks Blake! It's definetly not the way I wanted to do it but. The worst part is not having any money to buy the few remaining parts I need(just had to go with a roller cam), that will prolly slow me down more than anything. I'll be posting as many pics as I can too.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Okay, so I got the cam and crank in. Plastiguaged the crank, they were all close enough,lol. Really they were all within tolerance. Got the wrong rod bearings so I had to run back and get the right ones, they gave me .010 under when I need standard :roll: .
100_0496.jpg

100_0497.jpg

Did some more work on the grill too. Here's a shot of it after I cut the center out. I used some epoxy to strengthen some weak spots, and then painted the center.
100_0498.jpg

100_0499.jpg

Then I used more epoxy to install the new aluminum mesh. I've done this before on my Elky, but it had a flat grill(4 headlight set up) and this one has a v shape to it, so I;m not entirely sure how it will look but...
Still need to prep and paint the outside.
100_0500.jpg

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
One thing I'll mention jrm81bu is that if you look where the oil filter is supposed to go (or maybe its without the adapter) there is a little hole there. The guy I had build my engine who built Nascar motors show me how he put in a little threaded plug in there. His explanation basically said that it will help increase oil pressure. His experiences with it said that the engine lasted longer with the increased oil pressure, cause If I didn't have the little plug in there, then the oil pressure would be considerably less. I'm wondering if it fell out of my motor and that may have caused my oil pressure to drop the way it did. We'll see.

Can't be too bad in a gravel driveway though. I've been welding my rear floor boards in the driveway but that's much easier than swapping engines. After blowing that driveshaft, my old man keeps telling me to wait till the garage is up so we can rebuild the motor and check the rear end. Safety first I guess...at least that's what he keeps pressing.

How much boost are you getting with that supercharger? 8-10psi?

uneek1976

G-Body Guru
Jul 24, 2009
Sugar Grove IL/ Chicago
Man i know how it is when it come to working on your car without a garage. I've been working in my regal for the past two years without a garage. Swapping motors, the trans, rear end, and everything else. But keep up the good work your doing great. Just alil movation to keep ya going!!! :D :D :D

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Pat, the filter adapter is not in the block yet. Never heard anything about plugging any holes, but I'm not to worried about pressure, I'll have enough. And was getting around 6lbs of boost on that motor. Possibly expecting more on the new smaller motor.

Uneek- thanks for the compliment and motovation.

This isn't the first time I havent had a garage, that was more of just a mini-rant, lol. Hell last summer when I had to replace a broken piston, I did it in the driveway. I even dropped the pan, pulled the head, and swapped the piston with the motor hanging from the hoist, that was a pain in the *ss.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Another little up date, got the grill and headlight bezels finished and installed. Now I need to stop playing and get back to the motor, lol. And here's the pics.

Bezels before:
100_0501.jpg

100_0502.jpg

Added the mesh:
100_0503.jpg

100_0504.jpg

Shot of the front end before:
100_0505.jpg

100_0506.jpg

100_0507.jpg

Then I painted everything and installed them:
100_0508.jpg

100_0509.jpg

100_0510.jpg

And yes I will get the front plate holder fixed up. Just not sure if I will mess with it before or after the bumper tuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor