rally conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
3XBrownCutty said:
so where can i attatch the ground? just anywhere on the tach circuit board, or anywhere on that plastic board on the back? does it matter?

I read a guy cut away the plastic over the copper and drill a hole and sandwitch a piece of wire on the copper with a nut and bolt.

any ideas on the oil pressure?

OH RLY!!!! Was it on Oldspower.com. Becuz thats exactly what I did. Im Rok_Stars_Bars on Oldspower.com.

But Yeah, I found what circuit on the PC board is the ground (The whole PC board uses the same ground.) So you know one side of the lamps are ground. I drilled a hole kinda next to the right blinker, but more behind the speedo. And like you said just sanwdwich the terminal. Thats fixed my blinkers not working, high beam lights, and Illumination lights. And like I said I had to take the 5 nuts off and get a steel brush and clean the exposed copper for the guage. Then my guages started working.

Oh another problem I had. Was the rallye pac was not tighting down all the down. My bottom outside screw was the wrong side. And it wasnt tighting up all the way and the connector 2 wasnt mating correctly with the PC board. My temp guage was working then.

And last one I think. I bent all my prongs up on the connector 2 (I think thats the one, anywayz the one you have to rewire). And I had one of the prong get hung up on the plastic connector and wasnt moving when I installed the guages. And wasnt allowing the rest of the prongs to have contact. Nothing worked then.

My thread on Oldspower.com

http://www.oldspower.com/vb/showthread.php?t=53459

Here's what I did... solved any connectivity problem between the gauges and circuit board. I removed the sprung clips that make contact with the studs. I believe the nuts were a #6 or #4. The molex connector is to make connection easier (tied into the original wiring). These are for a Malibu/Monte cluster, but should be the same for any other G-Body cluster.
DSC02221.jpg

DSC02222.jpg

yeah oldstech! i always cruise olds power and realoldspower... i regiestered, but it wont let me post there at all. 😢 im kinda confused on the ground thing (i havent done a lit of wiring kinda stuff really) so i want to drill through just the plastic circuit on the back, or what. how am i drilling through the pc board (which im assuming is the green board behind the tach) and getting contact with the copper circuit on the very back of the cluster? sorry if this sounds stupid, a pic would do wonders lol

im gonna have to take the cluster out one last time here then, ill check my nuts (the ones on the back of the cluster) and add that ground.

haha, GYB! :lol:

:mrgreen: priceless!!

3XBrownCutty said:
yeah oldstech! i always cruise olds power and realoldspower... i regiestered, but it wont let me post there at all. 😢 im kinda confused on the ground thing (i havent done a lit of wiring kinda stuff really) so i want to drill through just the plastic circuit on the back, or what. how am i drilling through the pc board (which im assuming is the green board behind the tach) and getting contact with the copper circuit on the very back of the cluster? sorry if this sounds stupid, a pic would do wonders lol

im gonna have to take the cluster out one last time here then, ill check my nuts (the ones on the back of the cluster) and add that ground.

You are goin to have a PM in about 5 mins

They're 'hard wired' but they're not. The wiring to the gauges is to the white connector (to make it all removable), and the other end of the connector is spliced into the original wiring. I just did that because of the age of the printed circuit board and I didn't trust the factory connection with its age. The gauges tended to provide somewhat of a path to the lights when I turned them on, so they didn't read accurately. They were close, but to say a factory gauge from '81 is close - originally, let alone at nearly 30 years old - is a bit of a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor