Lue's Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
Hi Everyone,

Back in late November of 08, I purchased a 79 Malibu after having my 78 total few month before. Sense then, my Bu has been parked and waiting for the day she becomes road worthy :twisted: .....

Well that day has come, and starting Sunday. I'm going to put her up on stands, and start the trasformation. I have the next two weeks off, and with in that time. I plan on doing the following:

*Swap out Engine/transmission
Switch fuel line on the passanger side with 3/8 steel line
Switch out U-joints
New Kick down cable
Replace all houses
Install headers
Install Double hump Crossmember

*De-grease/ paint Engine bay
POR 15

*Swap out core support for an Aluminum one
Install Alum Radia

* Install GM Body Braces;
Jounce Bars
"GP" Cross brace
"GP" Core Support to Fender brace
Core support Braces
"MC" Core Support to Fire Wall brace

* Have True Dual exhaust installed

* Replace 14' wheels with 16" Irocs

Here are a few pics of her
1228497860.jpg

1228498286.jpg

1228497887.jpg

1228498760.jpg

1228498818.jpg

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Looks pretty nice! Is that the original paint or is it primer? There is a Malibu that looks just like yours around the corner from me.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Fla_G-Body said:
Hey man i got a radiator support ill let go cheap.

If it's aluminum and he doesn't want it, send me a PM. I'll probably take it.

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share the progress I have done so far. It feels like I haven’t done much, but my body tells me otherwise lol.

I started by disconnecting everything and draining all the fluids (engine and trany). Then I removed the front end, (front bumper, inner fender wells, header panel and core support). I then pulled out the engine and transmission out all together.
I then took half a day off to find me a heater box sense mine came broken. I found one that was in really good shape, and that was of an 82 cutlass. I then came home and took a wire wheel drill tip to go over the frame and fire wall. I then sprayed some purple power over everything so it could loosen and set over night. I also modified my Alum core support to fit my header panel sense it wasn’t a direct fit.
Yesterday I spent the whole day degreasing and prepping to paint the frame with por 15.
Today I’ll do a last spray to get anything I didn’t get. Then I plan to take off my dash so I can pull out my heater box, and hope to get some painting as well.
Here are a few pics

IMG01098.jpg

IMG01097.jpg

IMG01094.jpg

IMG01099.jpg

IMG01100.jpg

IMG01101.jpg

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I might be way off here, but i would prolly take the fenders the rest of the way off. I don't know if it could warp them or not just hanging like that but, i wouldn't take the chance. Keep up the progress.

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
jrm81bu said:
I might be way off here, but i would prolly take the fenders the rest of the way off. I don't know if it could warp them or not just hanging like that but, i wouldn't take the chance. Keep up the progress.

:oops: i was being lazzy and dinnt want to take them off..

Well, today I hit the frame once more with degreaser and the power washer. I then started to paint the frame.
Here are a few pics
IMG01104.jpg

IMG01108.jpg

IMG01106.jpg

IMG01105.jpg

I hope to swap out the heater box tomorrow. Just hope it doesnt rain!!

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
jrm81bu said:

They're fine, just don't lean on them. :shock:

Looks like you're making some good progress. What did you have to do to your core support to make it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor