88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
If the price is right and it floats your boat - go for it. Lot depends on how it was stored - was it fogged, turned over periodically, covered ?? I'd pull a couple of plugs and see if the walls are rusted and it does bar over.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I just put one into a fwd Riviera that had a 307. I also had one in and '85 Cutlass years ago with rings so bad that it was blowing oil out of one of the tail pipes, yet it would still light the tires up easily. I like them for DD's. They may be low compression but they make good torque and run on 87 octane with no problems.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
I always liked 403's for daily drivers even with stock compression the torque is decent. As long as the engine looks clean inside(get the seller to allow you to remove the oil pan and valve covers at the least) turns over freely, and the price is good then go for it. Olds engines aren't known for piston or cylinder wear, so usually compression issues are caused by rings or valves. So they are usually pretty inexpensive to refresh when a full rebuild isn't in the budget.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I see prices all over the place, usually from $250-$700. If I can't hear it run that's more reason to talk them down. I paid $300 for mine but it was a crap shoot. I've lost money on used engines before too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor