79 Pontiac(the pumpkin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oranGekrate

Greasemonkey
Oct 25, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
rustedandweathered said:
dude im so jealous rite now i think i could just :puke: seriously that wagon is cool as **** and i luv that its a lemans. dont get me wrong i realy like malibu's but its so nice to see the 'other" g wagons done up :D the wheels mite be outdated to some but they look sweet...why mess with a good thing...

Wow, Big thanks rusted, wish I could take credit for the build but I can't. I also like the wheels but the problem with them is that they are not true directional. I know, I'm picky that way. Also the tire profile is totally wrong. The fronts are 225/55/16 and rears are 245/45/17. They are both 25.7in dia. I think the rear needs more side wall, or the fronts need less. Being as low as it is up front, I'm thinking the rears need to be bumped to at least a 255/50/17 giving them a bit more side wall to look right. The current rear tires are an inch away from the frame as is, but I think if I run a 1in spacer with the bigger tire, it would do wonders for the looks of the car. What I just said, or just sell the current set up and opt for a set of chrome rallyII's. If I do that I'll keep it in the traditional muscle car size of 15's all corners and run something like 255/60 rear, and maybe 215/70 front.

Also, about the issue about the emissions crap. This car is too cool to just re-sell it so quickly. So I'm going to re-register it as antique and just drive it.

One more thing, The exhaust is choking me out. The hatch seals don't keep the exhaust from entering the cabin, so I need to reconfigure the tail pipes. At first I hated the current tail pipes, then grew to like them. But now I'm thinking I need to get rid of them and do a 45 bend behind the tires. Whew, to much coffee, I'm done.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I like the wagon but the dated wheels (Centerlines?) should go in favor of some 15 or 17 rally wheels plus I never liked directional wheels that are not side specific they should be a mirror image of the opposite side.
As far as the exhaust I have never been a fan of the out the back tailpipes anyways, always favoring the look of a Regal/GN tailpipes even on my Monte.

oranGekrate

Greasemonkey
Oct 25, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
565bbchevy said:
I like the wagon but the dated wheels (Centerlines?) should go in favor of some 15 or 17 rally wheels plus I never liked directional wheels that are not side specific they should be a mirror image of the opposite side.
As far as the exhaust I have never been a fan of the out the back tailpipes anyways, always favoring the look of a Regal/GN tailpipes even on for Monte.

Even worse, Eagle Alloys, yuk...And I agree 100% on everything you said.

kolegtp12

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 21, 2012
olaton ky
love the wagon. put 17' boss 338 on it there cheap and the look is superb on these wagons. my exhaust 45s out behind my rear wheels and has magnaflows rear nice sound and quite when cruzin and no smell in car

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Looks like a nice ride.

The wheels don't bother me as much as the exhaust, painted EVERYTHING (grilles, glass moldings, etc) and the stripe.

Still, wouldn't take a lot to fix any of the various people's gripes and make it "yours".

Eagle alloys are a decent wheel for those of us with family/budget. Sure, not as nice as Billet Specialties or Budnik, or (insert favorite high end wheel maker here) , but some of us can't/don't want to spend that kind of coin for a driver.

Good score either way, and looks like a good foundation from where I sit.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
What are they expecting for emissions equip? Gutted AIR pump, gutted cat, a handful of vacuum hoses (with BBs inserted) and a few thermostatic check valves should get you home, if they're not checking the operation.

Some inspection stations have a book that details what's supposed to be on it, and I think some just operate off the underhood decal...what do they do there?

oranGekrate

Greasemonkey
Oct 25, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
Ribbedroof said:
What are they expecting for emissions equip? Gutted AIR pump, gutted cat, a handful of vacuum hoses (with BBs inserted) and a few thermostatic check valves should get you home, if they're not checking the operation.

Some inspection stations have a book that details what's supposed to be on it, and I think some just operate off the underhood decal...what do they do there?

I'm still laughing at your other comments lol...As for emissions equipment, I'm not sure what would have been underhood. They said cats for sure, and underhood emissions equip. I've never owned a old car this new, so I'm not sure what would have been underhood. To me it looks right. Motor, carb, air cleaner, good to go. They also got me on hid headlights. Well that makes sense to go back to the old dull yellow factory lights instead of bright effective modern lighting. Basically, the car needs to just have this equipment on it. It doesn't need to be working because they won't run emissions test on it, but they want to just see it in place. To me, this is nuts thinking. But they are just doing a job, not their fault.
I suppose I could junkyard some of these underhood parts, cats can be had for 100 ea, some headlights and it would pass. The inspector said the equipment must be factory, so then he would get me on having a 350ci, instead of the 301, so, I'm sure I can't win with these guys. Truth is, this car is just as safe as any car I drive, new and old. It's just an attention getter, and they don't want to be tied to it in any way.
If anybody has any of the underhood equipment that Ribbedroof suggested, Gutted AIR pump with bracket and pulley, gutted cat, a handful of vacuum hoses (with BBs inserted) and a few thermostatic check valves, I may be interested.

1980PontiacWagon

Greasemonkey
Mar 23, 2011
Do you have any stickers under the hood talking about emissions or showing diagrams? If so, rip them off. In Virgina, once your over 25 years old, you don't need that stuff. I had the emissions sticker under my hood, but it didn't matter when my brother did my inspection...but last year he was out of town and I needed to get it done...I took it to his shop and another inspector looked at it...he said I failed because I did not have the proper equipment...He told me to take it around the corner to 7-11, rip the stickers off the radiator top plate and to come back for a re-inspect. Where in Fredricksburg are you?

oranGekrate

Greasemonkey
Oct 25, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
1980PontiacWagon said:
Do you have any stickers under the hood talking about emissions or showing diagrams? If so, rip them off. In Virgina, once your over 25 years old, you don't need that stuff. I had the emissions sticker under my hood, but it didn't matter when my brother did my inspection...but last year he was out of town and I needed to get it done...I took it to his shop and another inspector looked at it...he said I failed because I did not have the proper equipment...He told me to take it around the corner to 7-11, rip the stickers off the radiator top plate and to come back for a re-inspect. Where in Fredricksburg are you?

Really? I would love to get an inspection sticker for it. I've been putting off taking the tags back and getting the antique tags for it. Under the hood I see nothing at all as far as stickers go.
I'm located between Fred'burg and Richmond. Where are you, or rather your bro at?

oranGekrate

Greasemonkey
Oct 25, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
Well I finally got the car inspected, now I feel like I can put some work into it without throwing money into something I can't drive legally. First thing is to get the steering tightened up. Looks like the center link is in need of replacement, The idler arm appears tight. I've read a bunch on here about steering box replacements. Not being familiar with these cars, it seems like maybe the boxes are a weak unit. I've had lots of old cars and have never needed to replace the steering box on any of them. Usually the problems are within the frontend components. If a box is needed, I'll get the SS box. Seems like the sporty thing to do to these cars. Anyhow, I'm cruising now. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor