West Michigan
Very nice wagon.

Doug

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hi Charlie,
Concerning your steering. Don't rule out a worn rag joint on your intermediate shaft. A popular upgrade is to swap the OEM rag joint shaft for a Jeep Cherokee intermediate shaft which uses universal joints vs. the rag joint.
You'll feel the difference immediately. Instant gratification. :)

A worn center link or idler arm is pretty common on these cars as well. The Monte SS, 442, H/O, IROC steering box is another upgrade I'd recommend.

oranGekrate

Greasemonkey
Oct 25, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
Thanks for the input Jack. I checked the rag joint out and it appears O.K. I'm going to just replace parts one at a time until it's tight. I did read a bit about the jeep shaft. Definitely would be an upgrade I will consider. You couldn't possibly have better feed back than using universal instead of the outdated rag. I had read a couple negatives about Too much feed back, and feeling every road imperfection. If I need to replace the steering box, I'll upgrade to the SS box. If I need a new rag joint, I'll upgrade to the jeep shaft. :mrgreen:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
That's definitely an improvement, Charlie.
Is that 3M Di-noc that you used? Looks good man.
How was it working with?

oranGekrate

Greasemonkey
Oct 25, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
It's sim carbon. Pretty much the same as the 3m. This stuff is great for flat surface, but tight corners, all the nooks in the bezel make it harder that it should have been. When it peels I'll re-do the bezel in Plasti-dip. I'm going to do plasti-dip on the steering horn pad.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I really like how the gage cluster turned out. Boldly go...

Count yourself lucky you have an emissions option. Some people are just screwed by the states they choose to live in. I have a 1980 Malibu, and 26 years ago when I lived in Connecticut, you could only replace the motor with another 1980. I know a lot more now what I could have gotten away with back then. I wonder if fuel injection would make the man happier and deal with the stinky tailpipes.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I used the carbon fiber on mine too, I forget the brand, but patience and heatgun were paramount in getting it down nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor