Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Nice process! That looks absolutely awesome. :shock:

oranGekrate

Greasemonkey
Oct 25, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
If you search hydro graphics, water transfer, hydro dipping on youtube you'll be amazed at all the possibilities. I first saw this process on rifle stocks and pistols. I see them doing rims and it's cool looking, but I question how well the graphics hold up to tire mounting.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I guess shooting clear over it is what keeps it sealed and more durable. You also need a large trough or bathtub to do something like a gauge surround. The video made it look really easy. It's sort of like a decal.

oranGekrate

Greasemonkey
Oct 25, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
Just ordered these adapters http://lee-powersteering.com/rebuild-misc.htm for $6ea and comes with the tool to install them. It cost 73 bucks if you get the rag joints. :shock:
Just found my mcss steering box and front swaybar on my porch that I got from tobyp, thanks toby. Now I need to get the steering shaft. I almost ordered the rear swaybar from timo22, but forgot I need the jeep/or Gm steering shaft. I have to put the rear bar on hold for now.
Maybe somebody can answer this question. Are all the end links sold for any size bar? I can't find any info to determine they are different from one bar to another.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Charlie,
I just recently got the end links and front swaybar bushings from Rock Auto. I used the MOOG # K8988 @$5.33 per pair for the end links...but there's others to choose from.
The MOOG #K6455 bushings are for the 1 1/4" swaybar. @$9.61per pair.

Glad to hear that you got your parts and bushing kit for your steering box.That wasn't bad.

oranGekrate

Greasemonkey
Oct 25, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
Sorry if this turns in to a ramble...Been doing some sprucing up to the pumpkin. I've had the car for a while and have never really done anything to it. Nor have I taking any time to go over it to see what the over all condition is. It's a driver after all, and I never meant to become attached to it in any way. Drive it till it's junk and throw it away type attitude....Moving on...Then I found this forum, curses to you all lol...J/k, I love this place...Anyhow, in the past few weeks I gathered up a few fixer upper parts to get it in better shape. I just finished doing a mcss box, jeep(GM)shaft upgrade. I put a new center link and a couple tie rods on also. I wasn't all that impressed with it at first. Then I bleed the p/s some more, got some bubbles out and all is good. But the best thing so far has been the front and rear f41 swaybar and new front bushings and end links. Man, what a difference that made. Now I think I get it, why you guys like theses cars so much. I drive a awd subaru rs as my daily, and the pumpkin will probably now out corner that subie. I now have confidence to go ahead and throw some more $$$ at it to replace a few more neglected items...As a side note, when buying a car from a total stranger and the first thing they tell you is how the car was lowered the "correct way", assume it was lowered in the worse ways possible lol...That would be the case as I have found with the pumpkin. The rear springs have those shitty adjustable spring helper things, what a joke...The front coils were torched lol. SOOO, Iv'e added springs to my list of to do's...Moving on...While under the car for the past few days I've had a chance to really look at what I have...I'm very pleased with the over all condition of this southern car. No rust anywhere to be seen, very solid. It looks like a 5 year old car underneath. I'm sure if I tore it apart I'd find rust, but that's not going to happen anytime soon if ever...So for the moment I am done. Next on the list will be clean the engine bay, new fan clutch, tune up. Then new window motor that I already have for the passenger side...I'll probably do the springs this fall and while I'm at it, new ball joints and control arm bushings, rear control arms bushings. Then when I'm done with all that, I'll have a great riding, handling car that just needs new interior and a new paint job, and fix the a/c. :shock:....I would also LOVE to do a shaker set up also, so if any body can supply a complete list of what's needed for my sbc, I'd really appreciate it. I know there is the white mcss with one, love it. But with all the different combinations for this set up, I need to know what to get without going crazy trying to figure it all out... Rant over for now. Happy Easter....

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Nice to see you're making progress on it, Charlie.
They are pretty cool cars, and you certainly do grow an attachment to them. They are very functional and utilitarian cars, which is why I've held on to mine for so long. I've actually owned mine for like 28 yrs.. :shock: I know..I'm a glutton for punishment :roll: . But I really got to love the car after it had been my daily driver for 20+ yrs.

I think a shaker hood would look awesome on there. It's always a surprise when you find where the previous owner left their shoddy workmanship. Torching springs was an old hot rodders trick...certainly not the recommended method of lowering a car.

At any rate, I'm glad to hear that you got the steering somewhat straightened out ,,,no pun intended.. :lol:

oranGekrate

Greasemonkey
Oct 25, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
Jack, I'm actually thinking of selling my 70 Mercury because it's next to impossible to find affordable sheet metal(or any other parts)to replace a quarter panel. With the G body cars, parts seem endless, maybe not for wagons, but still plenty of good cheap stuff out there. As rust free as this wagon is, I feel guilty not having a garage spot for it. That speaks volumes for how much I like this car. If I can somehow pull off a shaker setup, add some rally II's, I feel this would be every bit as cool as any muscle car. Before owning it, I never thought of owning any car or truck that wasn't produced in 1970, Iv'e always thought of 1970 as pinnical for the very best cars and trucks imo. Such as these... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
My 70 Montego MX
And my bagged 70 k5 Blazer factory 2wd

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Charlie,
I like the Mercury. That's a cool body style. much like the Torino. I could understand the difficulty in acquiring parts for it. Probably not an overly popular car, like my '81 Mercury Capri...actually my wife's car.

I like the K5 Blazer... cool looking ride. My friends and I drove one cross country back in mid '70's. We pulled a pop-up camper trailer with it. It was a 4 x 4 with a freshly installed 350 2-bbl out of a Monte Carlo with headers. It had a 3-spd manual on the column. Formerly had an inline 6... It was a real cruiser.

1970 was a good year...great music, cool cars, and good times. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor