80 malibu wagon factory 4 speed questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldGG

Apprentice
Oct 11, 2013
WA
Domie, Have you looked for the build sheet ? I found mine in the passenger door on a 1979 El Camino. You never know !!

Domie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2013
I know I was just looking online at different places people found there build sheets like under headliner or under gas tank I have changed headliner and carpet so haven't found yet

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Domie said:
I know I was just looking online at different places people found there build sheets like under headliner or under gas tank I have changed headliner and carpet so haven't found yet
Check under the back seat, too. I think I might have found mine there...or it was under the headliner... :? it was so long ago, it's hard to remember. Sometimes they're stuck to the bottom of the rear seat.

Domie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2013
yah just checked under the back seat nothing and left door trim and I have changed carpet and headliner so not there either grrr

Domie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2013
can these Malibu's come in a automatic 4 speed? cause I found RPO code m15 when they decoded my vin

OldGG

Apprentice
Oct 11, 2013
WA
Domie said:
can these Malibu's come in a automatic 4 speed? cause I found RPO code m15 when they decoded my vin

Who decoded your vin ?

Domie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2013
well I work at gm so I sent it next door they sent me a sheet of everything they decoded but one line was m15 but no info beside it I just looked up the info on my cowl and it says my car is
1980 built april in 2nd week Malibu Classic Wagon build in Leeds MO , dark camel tan cloth interior with 50/50 front seat beige lacquer exterior
also says the LC3 engine that came with car came with M15,M33,MV4,MV9
looks like M20 would of been 4 speed....

OldGG

Apprentice
Oct 11, 2013
WA
You could look at your engine code
You should have something like this F1210CLA
That would be
F=Flint
1210=Production month and day
CLA= designation

So 3.8L 229 CI V-6 RPO would be CLA=3-speed, 2-bbl carb and CLB would be 3-speed auto.2-bbl carb.

Domie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2013
yah that engine was gone 14 years ago damn I wish I thought of this stuff when I first got the car

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
RPO M15 for the years 1976/81 was 3 speed standard transmission

If indeed the car was built or originally shipped to Canada, it is my understanding that they have the records available for those, which should include copies of the broadcast sheet, and totals for model year production. Worth looking into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor