80 malibu wagon factory 4 speed questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Hi Domie. Welcome to the site. You definitely have an interesting car there. I'm in southern Ontario, near Toronto. Its too bad that you didn't get the car when it still had all of the original equipment in it. It might have helped to avoid some of the confusion that you've got now. I used to work at a GM dealer (16 years), and I know that when GM started the current VIN system in 1981, the first character of the VIN would tell you the country where the car was built. 1 meant a U.S.A. built car, 2 meant a Canadian built car, 3 meant the car was built in Mexico, etc. If GM was still using a similiar system in 1980, then you could possibly figure out where your car was built. I know that GM built the A body cars in Canada up until 1981 at the Oshawa Ontario plant. A friend of mine used to have a 1981 Monte that he bought new in 1981, and it was built in Oshawa. If you're looking to try to get the VIN for your car decoded, then you could try getting in touch with GM Vintage Vehicle Services in Oshawa. As long as your Malibu was originally titled and sold at a GM dealer in Canada when it was new, then they should have records for it, and can tell you how the car was originally equipped.
Over the past 20 years or so, I've owned a number of Malibus, including 3 of the Iraqi Malibus. To the best of my knowledge (and I'm sure that someone will probably question this), GM only offered a 3 speed manual transmission behind the V6 engine in the Malibus from '78-'81. I know that a couple of 4 speed V6 cars have shown up from time to time, but the 4 speed is a relatively easy swap, and in all of the factory literature that I've ever read from GM, I don't ever recall reading about the availability of a 4 speed manual transmission with a V6 engine. The 4 speed was offered with both the 305 V8 in the Malibu, and the 350 V8 in the El Camino, but once again, as far as I know, the 4 speed was a V8 only offering in the Malibus, El Caminos (and some Monte Carlos) from '78-'81. There was no manual transmission option available on the GM G body cars from 1982-1988, although the earlier '78-'81 parts will fit.
As Longroof 79 has mentioned, its kind of a shame that the original manual trans steering column was gone when you got the car. Any factory manual trans steering column is rare, and the factory tilt/manual steering column is EXTREMELY rare. I finally found one for my Malibu, but it took about 1 1/2 years of searching, and in the end, I was lucky to find the one that I did. It is possible to create a tilt/manual column using GM parts. I can fill you in further on that if you're interested.
I'm curious about the instrument cluster in your car. I know that GM put a 200km/hr speedo in the Iraqi cars, because all 3 of those cars that I've had over the years have had it, but the speedo that GM used in those cars was the long sweep type speedo, not the round one like you have in your car. Once again, as far as I know, GM only used that style of speedo in the police (9C1) Malibus that were sold in Canada. It was available from GM here in Canada years ago, under part number 25044434, because I have one here that I bought back when they were available, which I've been saving for a project. I've never seen a Malibu that started out as a V6/manual car, with the type of instrument cluster that's in your car. No offense intended, but I think that cluster may have been swapped into the car at some point before you took possesion of the car. Again, being able to get some accurate documentation on your car, either from GM of Canada, or some other reliable source would be very helpful.
Regardless of how your car was originally equipped, it is a neat car. You don't see very many manual trans cars at all, and manual trans wagons are even more rare. I hope that you're able to get it fixed up and running the way that you want. Keep us updated on your progress.

Domie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2013
Thx for the info Mr. Clean :)
yah I also work at a GM dealership as a journeyman autobody tech I sent my vin next door and they sent a sheet with all my rpo codes with about 75% of them coded with info but nothing on the transmission but I did find codes m15 and mm3 witch mean manual 3 speed so its looking like it was chandged I also looked o the cowl tag and tried coding that from a site and found that it was made in leeds MO in 1980 april
Also the RPO code that I have for the car is U14 the info stated is (cluster,Instrument(oil,coolant temp,voltmeter) GA CSTR) im not sure if that's the standard code or not
I found the info for the body plate on gbodycentral.com
Also my car has the code Z49 witch is the mandatory Canadian base equipment modification code

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Well Then,

There's some conflicting information if I've ever seen any. Could have one or the other but not all of the above. ...

M33 from 1976 - 1981 was the RPO for a THM 350 Three Speed Auto Transmission.

M15 from 1976 - 1981 was the RPO for a Manual Three Speed Transmission.

LC3 from 1980 - 1982 was the RPO for a 229 CI V6 2Bbl

MV4 from 1976 - 1989 was the RPO for a THM 350C Three Speed Auto Transmission

MV9 from 1976 - 1992 was the RPO for a THM 200C Three Speed Auto Transmission

While some of you sharp cats are gonna say hey, GM didn't put a THM200C in anything after 1987, you'd be wrong. Maybe not in this country, but definitely still in something globally.

I work for GM too, the last forty years so far. This info is directly out of the belly of the General.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :shock:

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Well then,

That makes sense.

M15 from 1976 - 1981 was the RPO for a Manual Three Speed Transmission.

LC3 from 1980 - 1982 was the RPO for a 229 CI V6 2Bbl

MM3 from 1982 - 1989 was the merchandising option for Manual Three Speed Transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor