before there were "dubs"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustedandweathered

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 21, 2012
hey quite new to the site but not new to our fav rides...G Bodys of course. i wanted to start a thread topic that may or may not have been discused on GBF before. the origin of lifted cars and big wheels. i have spent some time over the past couple days searching the forums to see if it has been a topic in the past but didnt see anything so i figure it was fair game. if it has been brought up before sorry if i missed it. at the very least i can interject my opinions and observations about this trend. so at the risk of being redundant...here goes.

the purpose of this thread is discus the origins of lifted cars and big wheels and not to get into the debate involed with this trend. we all have our own tastes and opinions (myself included). part of the reason i wanted to bring up this subject is to possibly educate some of the younger members about the roots of the trend and to find out if lifted cars originated in my native area ( southeast MI/Detriot) back in the mid 80's or if it the style was popular in other areas around the same time or if maybe it started somewhere else and made its way to the detriot area. my hope is that other memers(prob you older guys) will be able to back me up and share what you remem. this is somethin that i have been thinkin about for a while. all trends/styles/fads start somewhere. everyone that knows anything about cars knows that hot rods,customs and lowriders have deep roots in southern calif.

i'm 38 and from the metro detriot area(pontiac,waterford,and auburn hills more specificly) but have lived alot of other places....northwest arizona,central kentucky,las vegas,and now northwest ohio. when i was a kid,around 12-13, i really started to pay closer attn to cars and learning what cars were what,customizing terms,all that stuff. i keanly remember seeing lifted cars(mostly G Bodys) in the pontiac/waterford area as far back as 86-87. the usual "look" was a 2-3" lift with 15" wheels and large diameter tires,usually 225/75 or 235/75 15's depending on the car and amount of lift. the wheels of chioce were typicly 'vette rallys or something in a satin aluminum like american racing outlaws or outlaw II's. this was a style that was the norm all over the metro area and not just an "urban" thing. tho most cars were g bodys other cars that were popular were 73-77 regals,cutlass' ,grand prix's and monte's. full size gm's like impala/caprice and buick lesabres and bonnevilles were also lifted but not quite as popular. as mentioned this wasnt just an urban thing and in the later 80's lifted cars began to appear regularly at "hot rod" shows(my moms cousin had an 86 SS that was lifted with 15x8 outlaw II's that he showed regularly) after finishing jr high in 89,i was 15, i found myself bouncing back and fouth between AZ,Vegas and KY for the next few years till i wound back up in pontiac in late 95. over the years in other areas not once do i recal seeing a lifted car like those back home. and after returning to the area i noticed that this style wasnt realy a "trend" and was more popular than ever. it was after coming back to pontiac i got my 1st g body,an 80 malibu 4 door i bought from an inlaw for $1,seriously. in 96 i moved just inside detriot city limits (never realy been there before) it seemed to me that damn near everything with rear coils was lifted(incl fords/mercs). as i mentioned I had not been to detriot before 96 so i cant say if lifted cars appeared there before or after 86-87. i would guess before. in 97 i picked up my 81 malibu wagon. it had a 2.5-3" lift by way of heavy springs borrowed from a 73-75 A body wagon( so i was told by a guy that knew the prev owner) it was rollin on steel wheels with gm wire covers and 205/75's. it was around 01-02 when i started to see 20's on cars that were already lifted. one week i would see a cutlass or monte with 15's then that same car with 18's or 20's the next.

altho i was have no clue of what started this style i would guess it had something to do with lifted cars handling better in snow,or riding a bit better on shitty MI roads,or maybe that was the only way to get the very popular 15x8 'vette rallys to fit. it could aslo be a style carried over from the 60's. i have a few vintage car mags and alot of cars were lifted back then too (not just gassers)but i think it had more to do with drag racing than being a style.

anyway thats what i know and remember about the whole "lifted car & big wheel" thing. I attached a few pics that i took at the woodward cruise just last weekend and other pics i found online that are realy good examples of the old school look before big wheels. and some pics of cars with big wheels and a mild lift to show how one led to the other. again this isnt to start a debate about big wheels but to share personal exp and gather info from other members to help establish a timeline and origin of a style that has spread like wildfire over the past few years.

rustedandweathered

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 21, 2012
the GP's were at ths woodward cruise this year

Attachments

• woodward 2012 091 (640x427).jpg
    woodward 2012 091 (640x427).jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 1,153
  • woodward 2012 102 (640x427).jpg
    woodward 2012 102 (640x427).jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 1,139
  • 5Fe5P65J93Ma3F13Lbc8ba97f296a253815a3.jpg
    5Fe5P65J93Ma3F13Lbc8ba97f296a253815a3.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,135
  • woodward 2012 012 (640x427).jpg
    woodward 2012 012 (640x427).jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 1,129
  • 35jyrtx.jpg
    35jyrtx.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,163

rustedandweathered

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 21, 2012
more with a 14-15" wheel

Attachments

• $(KGrHqNHJCEE+UR8SsyNBQIB1h!V7Q~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqNHJCEE+UR8SsyNBQIB1h!V7Q~~60_12.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,129
  • Lee%2074.jpg
    Lee%2074.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 1,155
  • 1012111214a.jpg
    1012111214a.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1,614
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 1,415

rustedandweathered

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 21, 2012
the progression to more wheel and less tire...same lift

Attachments

• f7e22151.jpg
    f7e22151.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 1,881
  • 22sondadonk.jpg
    22sondadonk.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,210
  • cutlass1.jpg
    cutlass1.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 2,386
  • 58de8c06.jpg
    58de8c06.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,140

rustedandweathered

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 21, 2012
i hope you guys enjoy my post and i get a lot of feed back,esp from you guys up around detriot :bump:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
A few trends/fads I remember as I was growing up the first being the lifted rear with the mandatory N50/15 tires on the back regardless of the body style. Then the complete lifted trend with 15"s and tall tires which you needed because the oversize springs were so stiff you had to soften the ride . And though I am not of fan of giant wheels on a gbody lifted or not I will still take that over the short lived worst trend ever of putting a rim/tire combo with a ridiculous offset to the point of where there was no actual tread in the wheelwell, completely sticking out and not to mention the enormous strain put on your wheel bearings

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
You have to remember, these cars rode high when new....GM always had a lot of air between the wheel opening and the top of the tire, so even if you added tire height, the car still had a big gap. The time period you mention was when many of the later G bodies were brand-new cars, at most they were 8/9 years old and likely still rode higher than what we see today on original cars (that are at best 25 years old).

And as was mentioned above, many cars were air-shocked or coil blocked to clear wide tires in the rear. Where I grew up, we liked ours tucked...when I transferred to Chicago with a speed shop chain, I was dismayed by the number of "snowplows" with N50s running around on airshocks.

I always get a kick out of seeing people talk about replacing their original springs with "lowering springs" because they want to get the car down. After 25/30 years, lowering springs will likely ride where the originals have sagged to, albeit with a better spring rate.

Some of your pics show cars that have obviously been raised, some (like the white box caprice)I'm not so sure, given the OE ride height.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
In the 80's living in cali/compton/watts area all i seen were gbodys, i think thats why i fell in love with them, but the only thing i didnt like were the 14-15inch gold and silver dayton wire wheels "nasty" imo!!

As far as the ride height with my Bu, its all stock, no lifting, no cutting Nothing... Thats the right factory ride height, i did the same with my elko, no cutting no lifting etc etc...i always had 245/30/22 on 22inch rims to cover up the wheel wells.. I just dont see why would u want others to put bigger tires on small wheels, rear maybe ok, but fronts no no no.. I guess its just a cali thing to have big wheels.. Very rear to find a gbody with small wheels out here... Maybe one day i might go stock?? :mrgreen:

Very good post... Interesting...

acfad079.jpg

ac5d5009.jpg

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
IMO, the big wheels look best as shown directly above

rustedandweathered

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 21, 2012
thanks for the feedback guys. i too remember the "raked' or "snow plow" look from the late 70's early 80's with a lifted rear and N50's. that style was very popular pretty much everywere else i've lived,esp kentucky and arizona. love that look,thinkin about bringin it back. seriously. i'm not suggesting that everyone with a lifted car should roll on 15's with baloons(altho i like that look a bit better than big wheels,nostalgic in my case) 80elcaminoflake forgive me for makin the assumption that your malibu is lifted :oops: maybe its just that i havnt seen a factory stock hieght g body in so long i dont remember how they look :lol: but hopefully you are flattered that i used your ride for a positive ref? as far as g bodys riding higher cuz they were new back then i cant be sure of. maybe its cuz the taller tires made the car sit higher,giving the appearance of a lift. but i do remember my boy randy's dad worked on cars in the neighborhood and he mentioned the use of cup shims and/or swapped springs quite often.

btw soory about these pics bein a bit off topic

Attachments

• 515.jpg
    515.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 1,248
  • Chevy Nova 68-72 old school street machine_orange.jpg
    Chevy Nova 68-72 old school street machine_orange.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 1,601
  • 0820120631a.jpg
    0820120631a.jpg
    925.3 KB · Views: 1,038
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor