May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
Re: SBC in a 85 442

I dont know man. I'd rather a 426 Hemi if anything :twisted:

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012

Well thanks for all the good comments and one bad but he will never understand he also has a copy of a chevy part on his car as well. Like i said, summer is coming and i could not find a good old's block so i got an aftermarket 100% USA motor that just happens to look like a sbc. I made sure to avoid the China pro star/pro comp heads. I did just finally locate a 350DX block so it is and always was my goal to build a sbo for this car. I need to drive 4 hours each way but its worth it. Rocket needs 3 months to do a good set of heads so next fall i will update you all on the motor i originally planned to put in this car.

BuickOldsPontiac

Master Mechanic
Oct 14, 2011
Sterling Heights, MI

jociha said:
Well thanks for all the good comments and one bad but he will never understand he also has a copy of a chevy part on his car as well. Like i said, summer is coming and i could not find a good old's block so i got an aftermarket 100% USA motor that just happens to look like a sbc. I made sure to avoid the China pro star/pro comp heads. I did just finally locate a 350DX block so it is and always was my goal to build a sbo for this car. I need to drive 4 hours each way but its worth it. Rocket needs 3 months to do a good set of heads so next fall i will update you all on the motor i originally planned to put in this car.

A 350DX block is a great score. :D

Fader

Greasemonkey
Apr 29, 2011
Eastern Nebraska

jociha said:

I say build it how you want. Putting a gm related engine in a 442 is NOT some irreversible mod. There is probably someone parting out a decent 442 as I type this(I've seen several on here) I'm sure there is someone else chopping one up to lift it up on 28" rims this very second. You are giving the car life & gonna get it on the road. Comments like the previous ones are why I don't spend much time on this forum. People post stuff to share & get help. I bought an 85 442 as well. With no engine in it. & guess what it will have in it this summer. 327 Chevy. & I'm too old to give a sh*t what some random person that I will never meet on an internet forum thinks about my decision. I fully intend to build an olds engine for my 442 when time & money permits.I wasn't gonna settle for some cookie cutter p.o.s. build but a reasonable high performance olds engine. I saw another post a week ago where a member had replaced his 8.5" with a ford 9" in a 442, "but at least he kept an olds engine in it" hahahahaha .

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan

Fader said:
I say build it how you want. Putting a gm related engine in a 442 is NOT some irreversible mod. I fully intend to build an olds engine for my 442 when time & money permits.I wasn't gonna settle for some cookie cutter p.o.s. build but a reasonable high performance olds engine. I saw another post a week ago where a member had replaced his 8.5" with a ford 9" in a 442, "but at least he kept an olds engine in it" hahahahaha .

I agree. Build your car how you want to. Chop it, lift it...I don't care. Doing those things just make my cars more valuable. I share the opinion of keeping the OLDS motor in a 442 though. If you're staying away from internet sites like this one because people don't like your SBC in a iconic Oldsmobile 442 then don't bring your car to an Oldsmobile car show. I can gaurantee you that you're not going to impress anyone. You should try asking for help installing your 327 on Oldspower.com or realoldspower.com :lol:

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012

Well i must say one of my biggest dissapointments of this site is that a lot of the people only want to help you as long as you build your car the way they think you should build it and not actually help you.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010

jociha said:
Well i must say one of my biggest dissapointments of this site is that a lot of the people only want to help you as long as you build your car the way they think you should build it and not actually help you.

Im kinda with you on that one. Maybe just delete this thread and start over.

This is not an oldsmobile site, nor is it an olds V8 section. Its unfair for Jociha for you fools to gang up on him on an unrelated topic.

Its great that you have an opinion, but no one really gives two craps about it. Im sorry the Doctor didnt build cars the way you wanted in the 80's. The Cutlass came a chevy engine, get over it. :roll:

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming.

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006

I agree -build it the way you want. Like Fader, I'm too old, tired, set in my ways & built too many to care what others say. I could see if it was a 1st or 2nd gen A-body 442, H/O, W-30 / W-31 but c'mon, these are G-Bodies. With the exception of the later turbo buicks, they are really just the last of the intermediates w/ an engine bay big enough to stuff pretty much any GM V6/V8 in it, which GM did from the factory. Hence the multi-holes in the cross-member, parts interchanging, etc...

Also, think about it like this, are any of those guys giving you parts, paying for parts & labor or building it for you? Nope?, Then build it your way...just please don't half-*ss it. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor