Dash swap questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Im not gonna lie I like the Pontiac interior a lot more than the rest of the gbodies but the ugly *ss stock front end is keeping me away from ever wanting one(no offense). That being said I really don't understand the point of arguing this. Not a single dollar of yours is going into this guy's car so why do you care?

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
gmachinzz said:
I agree 100% Pontiac made better interior schemes...second imo would be the Cutlass. Regal interiors are beyond fugly imo. Anyway, here's the dash I'm using for my 1980 MOnte....the lighter grey (basically white) trim is the accent color which you can see some of in the box next to the dash-it took me awhile to find this particular color combo-they ain't easy to find. The center console, seats and seatbelts along with the carpet will all the same dark grey. I detailed the vents and other dash trim with a grey accent trim color similar to the 85 SS interior accent grey. As for whether people "should" use GP dashes in their Montes...why not? That's how the mexican exported Montes were built...I'll just tell the purists its a mexican monte. lol
That's the exact color my GP dash was. If I would have known it was a more rare color maybe I wouldn't have painted it black.

AlamoCity210

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2012
San Antonio, Tx
Well, while they go back and forth up above about what is better :blam:, the dash is pretty simple, although i believe i did it the harder way. After removing all mounting bolts, ive read that in the driver side bay, unhook the main harness and push the fuse box in. it should all come out as a hole. you'd have to disconnect the a/c wiring if its there. my memory isnt too fresh, its been awhile since i removed the dash. but just take your time and be observant, youll see how it should come out.

H2O gbodies

Apprentice
May 2, 2009
You'll need to use the GP dash harness, as well as all the AC ductwork and under the glovebox there are filler panels specific only to GP's, too. Pontiac did a goofy-azz thing design wise on the drivers side the speedo cable runs right through the ductwork-GM cut a diamond pattern in it-ran the cable through and sealed it with a foam tape-pretty hokie but whatever. If you have or plan to use the GP wiper pulse/delay switch if so equipped you need to use the GP plug-in...it's different than the Monte-this is only if you plan to use a dash mounted wiper switch. Since the GP uses several "spots" along the lower edge of the trim bezel for such options it's cool to use them if you can imo. I believe the connector for the rear defrost is different also-again, GP specific as well. So yeah, better to use the GP dash harness.

I personally like the GP dashes more than the Montes for the same reason I always preferred the look of the TA dashes more than a Camaro-better looks and layout. For the record, early 80's Malibus were cheaply made by GM and I have found several crackfree junkyard dashpads in them for 82-83 Malibus...reason? Those dashes has ABS plastic backing cores....different than even the GP's...and super light...I bet it's 1/3 the weight of an otherwise identical Monte or older Malibu/Elco dashpad. I held the whole dash upright with 1 finger with no problems...I couldn't believe how light it was! It was in an 83 4-door grandma looking Malibu...blue on blue and as plain jain looking as you could imagine.

Here's the matching wheel for my "GP" dash...matching black textured woodgrain and all...

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
For me the most difficult part was the top 8mm bolts next to the defrost vents. I had 2 of them stripped out in the GP I was pulling it from. The ratchet slipped out of my hand and cracked the windshield :oops: After the top 4 bolts are removed there should be 4 more bolts under it. One in both corners and one on each side of the radio section. After everything is unplugged and the steering column is dropped down it should come right out. Go very slow and don't force anything. These things are 30+/- years old and break VERY easily.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
-83MONTESS- said:
Im not gonna lie I like the Pontiac interior a lot more than the rest of the gbodies but the ugly *ss stock front end is keeping me away from ever wanting one(no offense). That being said I really don't understand the point of arguing this. Not a single dollar of yours is going into this guy's car so why do you care?

C'mon the front end isn't that ugly!!....really I have heard it more then a few times and I could come up with a few g bodies with just aas ugly front ends.... :lol: 81+ non ss or ls monte's come to mind but I could get used to them, 78-80 regals, booooo, :wink: it just a matter of taste IMO

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
85GPLef41 said:
-83MONTESS- said:

C'mon the front end isn't that ugly!!....really I have heard it more then a few times and I could come up with a few g bodies with just aas ugly front ends.... :lol: 81+ non ss or ls monte's come to mind but I could get used to them, 78-80 regals, booooo, :wink: it just a matter of taste IMO
:lol: I had a feeling someone would catch that. Different strokes for different folks

adam6640

Greasemonkey
Apr 30, 2008
Hugo Ok
I agree I like the Pontiac dash way better,had a black one in an 80 Malibu I had, I like the Grand Am dash the best though ! & I also agree the grand prix front ends are not very good looking at all IMO ! I do love the 2+2 nose & would definitely get one If I had a grand prix ! again just my opinions here ! I wonder if you could put a 2+2 nose on a 78 to 80 Grand prix ? Pontiac it seems were always ahead of the GM(Government Motors) pack, I would rather have a Pontiac now than a chevy because GM killed it & and they did lie about paying the stimulous money back our Government still owns GM ! GM spent 22 Billion recently to ship Cadillac & Volt over seas I wonder who payed for that ? the new GM vehicles all have tracking devices built in to the computer system & I am not talking about OnStar,I think the so called New Chevy SS is built on the old G8 platform, It sure is a shame the G8 pickup didn't make it here before they killed Pontiac sorry about the ranting

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
You guys are the BEST!! I was just making a rant and I thought I would get a lot of grief for saying what I did but you didn't. Thanks for admitting what i've known for years, and thanks for the Pontiac love! The dashes look great it's funny looking into these cars and seeing my dash it's a form of flattery really. I'm just pissed that my favorite car of all time Pontiac was dropped by Government Motors that's all. I'm sure GP403 would like this topic.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
To each his own but I've never owned a car where when people see that mean looking split grille (which Pontiac had first and BMW stole and still uses) they get right out of my way it's amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor