Engine Diaper and spill pan

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I've been running an engine diaper and I hate it. It's a giant PITA to install, it's melted, come loose, flapped in the air under the car and I'm truly not sure if my motor windowed the block of how effective it might be. Before DW this year my wife caught me hand sewing new straps on it and gave me a look of 'wtf are you talkin' 'bout' when I told here what I was doing. But after the 1st day of DW delays for windowed blocks and track oil downs, she sent me a message explaining how she now understands what I was doing. For those of you that missed it, day one of DW could've been named the Oil Down Nationals.

So I'm planning to add a spill pan/catch pan that is frame mounted to keep my debris in when the JY LS goes kaflooey (and I'm not living a pipe dream - it's going to go kaflooey at some point). I already have a plan to cut out the front crossmember and build my own so that I can drop the oil pan without pulling the motor. This should give me extra clearance for the spill pan. I intend to make it out of 16 gauge or maybe 12 gauge aluminum.

Also, I'm hoping for the fabricated front crossmember to resolve the clearance issue with the SUV/Tahoe pan that hangs down an extra 1" below the factory crossmember presently - I'm hoping to kill two birds with one stone haha.

I would like to see some pics of other pans or mods of this type so that I don't have to re-invent the wheel, so to speak. Open to all suggestions.

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I have nothing positive to add to your diaper situation but glad to see you don't practice moderation with when turning the wick up
All That What GIF by chelsiekenyon

Reactions: 2 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
B67156A8-790D-4D36-8718-A8C910B7B501.jpeg

This was my chevelle crossmember. With rack and pinion steering to eliminate the center link location. Can’t help with the pan I ran a diaper in mine

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Could you pull the pan with that? It looks like you could.
using that same design you make it a bolt in affair.plate the ends like he did/nuts welded on the backside and make the same center section bolt in. slimbo did his that way.

Reactions: 1 user

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
using that same design you make it a bolt in affair.plate the ends like he did/nuts welded on the backside and make the same center section bolt in. slimbo did his that way.
My dad had his that way in his nova.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
That’s what I was thinking as well. Hopefully make some tabs to bolt the spill pan to for easy install and removal. Just as bracketchev1221 posted, try to make it as wide as possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor