F41 and aftermarket bracing diagrams (MORE pics added)

78 Green Lemans

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2009
Penticton BC Canada
I found a set of jounce bars and the front GP bar at pick n pull awhile ago. I have a couple questions,
1: Do i need to modify the ends where the bars mount at the front of the frame for the GP bar to work with the jounce bars?

2: The bolts that mount the jounce bars to the crossmember were already off the car i pulled them from. On my lemas there is no access to get a nut in there, did they just bolt up with a self tapping fine thread body type bolt?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
78 Green Lemans said:
I found a set of jounce bars and the front GP bar at pick n pull awhile ago. I have a couple questions,
1: Do i need to modify the ends where the bars mount at the front of the frame for the GP bar to work with the jounce bars?

Shouldn't. I didn't do anything to mine other than bolt it up.

2: The bolts that mount the jounce bars to the crossmember were already off the car i pulled them from. On my lemas there is no access to get a nut in there, did they just bolt up with a self tapping fine thread body type bolt?

Those holes should already be tapped, or there are nuts welded to the backside of the frame crossmember. I don't remember off hand what size for sure by I think on mine they were something 3/8-16.

Reactions: 1 user

78 Green Lemans

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2009
Penticton BC Canada
FE3X CLONE said:
78 Green Lemans said:

Those holes should already be tapped, or there are nuts welded to the backside of the frame crossmember. I don't remember off hand what size for sure by I think on mine they were something 3/8-16.
Thank you, i'll double check those holes on mine. They didnt appear to be tapped but there was a little dirt and road grime built up.

drb930

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2007
Los Angeles
78 Green Lemans said:
FE3X CLONE said:
78 Green Lemans said:

Thank you, i'll double check those holes on mine. They didnt appear to be tapped but there was a little dirt and road grime built up.

The big hole in the frame is enough to put a nut back there.
Mine is a F-41 car with this set-up from the factory.
I used a longer bolt and a spacer to put the GP Brace on.
By the way my car is a 87, Metric 12mm I think.

Thanks,
Dave

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
If its the ones where you bolt the jounce bars to the engine crossmember i think they are self tapping bolts. My GP didnt have the jounce bars so when i installed them i used the original frame brace bolts which were 18mm. I then put pressure while turning the opposite ones and they tightened up with no problems.

78 Green Lemans

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2009
Penticton BC Canada
85GPLef41 said:
If its the ones where you bolt the jounce bars to the engine crossmember i think they are self tapping bolts. My GP didnt have the jounce bars so when i installed them i used the original frame brace bolts which were 18mm. I then put pressure while turning the opposite ones and they tightened up with no problems.
Yes it is the ones where the bars bolt to the cross member. The holes definately are not tapped on my car and i dont see any way of getting a nut back there. So i am to assume they are self tapping or i need to tap the holes.
Anyone know the correct size bolt if they are self tapping bolts?

drb930

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2007
Los Angeles
78 Green Lemans said:
85GPLef41 said:
Yes it is the ones where the bars bolt to the cross member. The holes definately are not tapped on my car and i dont see any way of getting a nut back there. So i am to assume they are self tapping or i need to tap the holes.
Anyone know the correct size bolt if they are self tapping bolts?

I was talking about the bolts at the front horns which do take a nut.
The ones at the cross member are self tapped, it is a metric bolt.

Thanks,
Dave

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
I stacked some washers between the jounce and GP bar until they weren't touching. just throwing that out there :lol:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor