gas hand problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

lildhix

Master Mechanic
Jan 9, 2011
Ok if i feel my gas tank to the top(it starts to come out nozzle) but my gas hand reads 3/4 full..do i need to drop my tank to fix this? or is it something behind my dash?

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
sounds like a venting issue. Is it the original or replacement tank?

lildhix

Master Mechanic
Jan 9, 2011
85GPLef41 said:
Alk that we know its the og tank

lildhix

Master Mechanic
Jan 9, 2011
Ttt

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Its most likely just the ground wire for the sending unit or the main wire that goes from the sending unit to the gauge :idea:

85GPLef41 said:
Venting won't affect the sending unit :idea:

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
RITTER said:
Its most likely just the ground wire for the sending unit or the main wire that goes from the sending unit to the gauge :idea:

85GPLef41 said:
Venting won't affect the sending unit :idea:
agreed. check the signal at the tank and at the dash.

lildhix

Master Mechanic
Jan 9, 2011
So drop tank and check dash

lildhix

Master Mechanic
Jan 9, 2011
droped the tank. and redone the whole dash lol. replaced sending unit and still reading wrong..

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
Remove the tank again as well as the sending unit. Take the sending unit under the car nad plug in the pwr and ground. now move the float up as far as it will go and have someone check the gauage. If its still the same take the dash apart and remove the gauage. pop the needle off, while the cluster is still plugged in. Turn on the key and have someone under the car manipulating the float to full, then u put yer needle back on the full mark. then try several positons with the float and comp[air it to the gauage. What happens alot is the pin the needle sits on spins with out the needle moving. Then u have the wrong reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor