Gas Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dburger

G-Body Guru
Jun 1, 2012
Only about $3.15 here, but the only G-body I have that runs is the N/A 3.8 one, so I'm taken care of :mrgreen:

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
jones20992 said:
jociha said:
tc1959 said:
$3.70 a gallon here in North West Phoenix today. Our new Chevy Impala is a Flex-fuel car ( E-85 ) and nobody here sells it Go Figure...... :roll:

Just remember the higher amount of corn in your gas the lower the gas mileage you will get so do the calculations to see if you are saving money or not.

on the other hand they can make more power on e85 I was just reading how the 2015 5.3 will make 355hp on gas but on e85 will make 380hp and 416lb-ft

It depends if the motor is a "neat" E85 motor and not a flex fuel motor. Most flex fuel motors are really gasoline motors that have computer controls to detune the motor to run on E85 without spark knocking to death. But this also reduces mileage and power, in general multi fuel motors are less efficent than neat single fuel motors.. Now a neat E85 motor would have a higher CR than a neat gasoline motor and would make more power and get better mileage but could not run high gasoline content fuel like E10 or E0.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
Here in Cape Breton NS its 159 per Liter for 91 that's 6.02 for a US gallon. For a imperial gallon its 7.23. Were getting ****in robbed! When yer runnin a 500hp SB chevy with 3speed, 3800 stall and 411's get out the ****in cheque book.

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
Here where I live 87 is $3.33 and 91 is $3.53 which is the highest octane I have seen here close by. The cheapest E85 is $3.33.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Just put some in this morning $3.89/gal for premium (93 octane.) I miss being able to fill it with mid-grade. I also remember paying no more then $3.45/gal for premium a few months. ago.

Neill

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 7, 2014
Roanoke ,VA.
I :wink: I'm lucky to still be able to purchase 100% ethanol free gas here in S.W. Va.--but only at a couple of Pure stations near me,to my knowledge.I carry a small,simple,easy to read Briggs @Stratton Ethanol Tester in my glovebox with a old battery hydrometer body and bulb to more easily fill the small glass graduated pill bottle size tester as per its' simple instructions.It only cost arond 6.oo I think years ago-- its' very accurate-tells you instantly what % ethanol is in the gas,if any.Right after I bought it from a B@S dealer I passed a station with the pumps labled 'ethanol free gasoline'.There is a little known Va. statute that stipulates if a pump is so labled and yet delivers gas with any ethanol the gas is yours gratis.Well,my camino was empty and I filled up-then tested the gas.Gas was 10% ethanol.Told the owner/manager/whatever I owed him nothing.He went ballistic and said he would have me arrested. I asked if I could help and gave him the local # for the Va.State Police.His attitude suddenly changed and he wished me well on my merry way with no charge for a full tank of gas.Check your state law for old forgotten buried law like this--but the odds are not good,sorry to say--

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Funny - I'm an oldie and remember saying that if gas ever $1.00/gal I'm walking. The fact is they have you by the lug nuts and if you want to play, you have to pay. It doesn't stop there because people are getting hit in the pocket book. Home heating is in the same boat and people are adjusting. Look @ an NHRA or NASCAR event and see the empty seats, the RV business, or even the
collector cars. People are thinking about mpg and buying accordingly. I just took a trip just shy of 500 mi's. I usually travel @ 75 mph and my Silverado gives me 19.7 mph. I faithfully ran this trip
@ 68 mph and got 21.6 mph ?? My go fast cars are on methanol, 1/2 the price(although you burn more) + hp gains. I just feel fortunate that I have been able to maintain my life style where too many people haven't. Now bring health care into the story - I think I'll quit here.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
87 is 3.60 here. Its never going below $3 again, too much speculation and price fixing.

Ethanol gets a bad rap. Its not as inefficient as people claim, most people see something different and say its bad.

Where they screwed up is doing E85. A 14:1 E85 only motor could be a 1.5L and have enough power (and be less polluting) than a gas motor. The problem is everything has to run on both and you cant run 87 through a 14:1 motor. They should have went E40 nationwide and sold only Ethanol cars with 12:1 motors 30% smaller. It has less BTU per unit but it makes more power with the octane so use it.

I dont see why people are so against E10. Weve had E10 in MN for 20+ years and everything runs fine. If your pulling sludge out of your fuel system with running E10 its time to quit being cheap and replace your 25 year old crusty fuel lines. Nobody ever blames that their fuel system is junk. E gas doesnt degrade the fuel system, it cleans it out. Just so happens that the fuel system needs to be replaced if its sucking out goop.

Is Ethanol the final answer to fuel independence, no, but paying Joe the farmer for a bit of corn is better than having to send troops oversees to secure the supply or being at the mercy of occasionally unstable governments and the weekly revolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor