Hurst Olds Lightning Rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

gp02a0083

Master Mechanic
May 17, 2011
does that price include everything? top plate , shifter assembly , brackets and cable? if so for $300 i would buy that in a heartbeat

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
[quote="iam2fast4u86"It does suck that the good old usa lacks compared to overseas companies[/quote]

LOL...I spend 2 hours a day on average helping our counterpart engineering team in China correcting their mistakes. Toby, I don't know who you're working with on the top plate but warp on an injection molded part is covered in fundemental plastics part and tool design 101. Perhaps the cliche "you get what you pay for" applies here?

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Anubis said:
[quote="iam2fast4u86"It does suck that the good old usa lacks compared to overseas companies

LOL...I spend 2 hours a day on average helping our counterpart engineering team in China correcting their mistakes. Toby, I don't know who you're working with on the top plate but warp on an injection molded part is covered in fundemental plastics part and tool design 101. Perhaps the cliche "you get what you pay for" applies here?[/quote]

They make for the OEM Ford Chrysler and GM in detroit.

Jshock

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
Ok time for school. I've been a certified ase master tech with an associates in auto diesel technology for 3 years but the downside is I'm only 23 and I'm tryin to learn the old school stuff they don't teach you about. What the hell is a Lightning rod???
The picture looks cool and I get the gist but what's the purpose and function??

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
Jshock said:
Ok time for school. I've been a certified ase master tech with an associates in auto diesel technology for 3 years but the downside is I'm only 23 and I'm tryin to learn the old school stuff they don't teach you about. What the hell is a Lightning rod???

A 4 speed shifter that came in the H/o edition cutlass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZmGZnmvSCM

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
gp02a0083 said:
does that price include everything? top plate , shifter assembly , brackets and cable? if so for $300 i would buy that in a heartbeat

This is just the shifter pack

Jshock

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
Thanks for the video! Man I love the idea behind those! Chalk it up for one more old school car! And thanks for the knowledge fellas I could spend all day learning about just g bodies and their stuff!

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Dragonist said:
Jshock said:

A 4 speed shifter that came in the H/o edition cutlass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZmGZnmvSCM

Damnit man!! You had to post that, its 55 degrees here today and my car is stuck at my my other place and cant get it out until it dries up or freezes. Want to drive my car with the L-Rods.....baaaaddddddd......

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012
Great idea, I think that most of the sales will be from people that have a car that already has bucket seats and the factory console. So selling a kit to convert from the "T" handle to this will be big, but like others have said they may need even more if they have a bench seat so lets not forget about them.

442_olds

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2010
The prototype looks good. From an engineering standpoint, are (or can) you address some of the issues that the original shifter had, such as wear on the pins, etc? Might be a case of using better materials than the original for those areas. I work in Engineering, and IMHO, it's always better to over engineer something :mrgreen:
I would be very interested in purchasing a set to replace the stock shifter in my '87 442. I've been looking at different types of shifters to put in (eventually), but haven't found one yet that I like (would much prefer a Hurst...then I could put Hurst Equipped on the trunk :mrgreen: ).
'Would it be correct to say that in a car that was already console equipped, you would need the shifter pack, shifter cable, and top plate to complete the conversion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor