Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Re: If You Were Buying the Car, What Transmission Would You

I'm now leaning towards the 200-4R based on the feedback. Got a note back from Lonnie at Extreme Automatics (on Sunday). Delivered with converter is $1850. Ooooooooooooffffff! The last time I did this project in 1995, I got the dual-pattern trans for free and put a $70 shift kit and $40 lockup kit on it. I used a highbeam switch on the floor to override and unlock the converter. It was a welcome improvement over the TH350 - with 3.73s, 60 MPH was about 4000 RPM. When I pulled the carpet out, I could actually singe the toes if I wore sandals.

When I parted out the car, I traded the trans and $200 for a rebuilt TH400. The 400/400 went into a $200 1982 C20. I named this tow rig 'Buford' after a burger joint I stopped at in Missouri while on a cross-country move. In the attached picture, Buford is being donated to a friend who found himself transportationally challenged. The Zebra was his replacement - $1000 and some stone wall construction for a Cummins 4WD.

This time I will get the fancier vacuum switch setup. Need to keep an eye out for the little metal piece (OD-3-2-1) that goes over the D-2-1 on the speedo.

Attachments

• DSCN2383.JPG
    DSCN2383.JPG
    378.5 KB · Views: 438

86judge

Greasemonkey
Dec 27, 2012
Indiana

Prices to build are defiantly not as cheap as they once were that for sure. It sounds like you already made your decision, but I'll give you my two cents any way. Lol.
I switched my car over to a manual trans. I'm running a Muncie four speed with the factory mechanical linkage. Finding all the parts mainly the clutch fork and bellhousing was a pain to say the least. If I had to do it over I'd run a hydraulic set up, but I don't regret it for a minute. I love having three pedals. So my two cents is ask yourself what you truly want, and your the only one who can answer that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 440

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

ssn696 said:
Got a note back from Lonnie at Extreme Automatics (on Sunday). Delivered with converter is $1850. Ooooooooooooffffff!

That is nothing. :wink:

We just finished buying a Level 5 4L70E from RPM Transmissions and it cost us $3750 to the door (in Canada) with a 3200 stall Coan converter, core charge, freight and taxes. All for the daily driver TrailBlazer SS - good to 600rwhp or so they say.

The 200-4R is far and away my favourite GM four speed slush box... but, there are just so many new options out there.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

I'd buy it in a second if the manual trans was in it. But maybe that's just me. I go to a LOT of trouble making ALL my cars manual trans.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

I also like the 200-4R, which will be going into my car, but I think a manual trans would make the car that much more desirable when it comes time to sell. And again, set the car up for YOUR preference, not what a potential buyer would like.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan

What is the torque output of that 350? What does the wagon weigh in at?

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston

I have to agree with the Manual option guys......theres just nothing like driving a v-8 with a shifter and a LSD diff. Less wear and tear on the brakes, better gas mileage, more control, more durable...etc. If I ever find the right trans, I'll probably convert mine to a stick....but Im not looking very hard.....yet... 8)

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary

Next angle to consider: If I stuck with the cheaper 700R4, would anyone care to recommend the best axle ratio? 3.08? 2.73? As I said in an earlier posting, the 1-2 shift with 3.73s will be a good sneeze with the 700R4's 3.06 first gear.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*

3.23s feel good with a 700R4.

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ

If it's a relatively mild 350 that has plenty of low-end torque, I'd agree that 700-R4 with 3.23 is good - cruising in overdrive, you've effectively got the equivalent of a 2.26.

If it's one that's a little rowdier and has sacrificed low-RPM smoothness for more top end power, then you may consider numerically higher gears. Then again, if you're talking overdrive at all, I'm assuming it's happy when cruising at sub-2000 RPMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor