macco paint job

Status
Not open for further replies.

flaboycutty85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2012
I paid 1k for mine. base coat/ clear coat. It was done by a local shop. Previous owner used black spray paint on the hood/quarter top.

[URL=http://s1129.photobucket.com/user/fla_boy_22/media/IMG_1086_zpseeb74b59.jpg.html]
IMG_1076_zps522f08f2.jpg
[/URL]

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
flaboycutty85 said:
I paid 1k for mine. base coat/ clear coat. It was done by a local shop. Previous owner used black spray paint on the hood/quarter top.

that looks great for $1,000

I got quoted $10,000 by 8 Mile Fiberglass & Collision in Farmington Hills, MI
I got quoted $7,500 by De-Tech Collision in Detroit, MI

there's no way in the world I'd pay that much

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
This is a maaco $400 special done a yr ago.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 954

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
Wow . . was that done by a Maaco in our area?

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
chevy2480 said:
that looks really good for that price. did you do most of the prep work?

thepcsurgeon

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2013
Orange County, NY
RunAwayNJ said:
So I hope this helps you. Today was actually almost 60 degrees and sunny so I took the 442 around for the final 'parade of paint estimates', including local shops and 2 different Maaco shops (1 Maaco recommended by my mechanic). Anyway, the local shops wanted anywhere from $2500 to $3500 to do the paint, and time+material for the body work, estimates for that around $2500 to $3000, possibly more. So we are looking at $5000 to $6500 for it all, which is more than we allotted for the paint. The goal was to get everything for $4000 or less. I went to the first Maaco and was highly disappointed. The guy I spoke with seemed to think the entire job could be done for under $2000. He quoted me to mid-line paint job + body work. I really wasn't happy with how he explained things would get done. So I went of to the Maaco my friend recommended. Turns out, I actually have met the owner a number of times at local shows, and he spoke highly of my mechanic. He took about 3 times as long going over the car, checking every spot and making sure he didn't miss anything. He let me know certain spots would be welded with new metal rather than bondo (I was already happy to hear that) and he took the time to make sure he addressed what I wanted done with the change of paint color and the spoiler. We talked about the different levels of paint and doing the door jams vs not doing them. He also explained the major differences in all of their paint packages, from the type of paint, how many coats, clearcoat, sanding, and buffing. The biggest difference between the lower level jobs and the top of the line jobs is the prep and the buffing. I chose to go with the top of the line paint and forgo the door jam painting (I'll do that myself over the summer). So with everything done right, I am at $3700 (I am going to do the pin striping myself) . I got to meet the painter and prep guy and see some of the work they have done and how they do it. something the other Maaco would not let me do (the local shops were more than happy to let me look around as well). I felt very confident and actually left the car with him and had my wife come and pick me up. As I was waiting, they offered me lunch and went out of their way to include me in their conversations. So I think the bottom line, and what mostly everyone here has said, is it depends on the shop. I'll post some pictures in 2 weeks and let you know how it came out.

Any update son your paint job?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
Evan's 85 said:
chevy2480 said:
that looks really good for that price. did you do most of the prep work?
They did all the prep work.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
King_V said:
Wow . . was that done by a Maaco in our area?
Yes it was. Done at the Turnersville Maaco

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
Oops - almost forgot about this thread - sorry about the update! I got the car back 2 months ago and I have to say I would definitely have Maaco do my cars again. Putting it next to some of the other more expensive paint jobs at the car shows, my car seems to stand out and have more depth to the color. Here is where it all stacked up price wise:

1. Local Body Shop - Quoted me T&M, but ballpark was $5000-$7500 realistically, but it could have been more or less once he got started.
2. Maaco #1 - Toms River - Quoted me about $1,073. This was with re-working 2 problem areas I had a tough time doing the body work on, and a lower level paint job.
3. Maaco #2 - Lakewood - Quoted me $3700. This included the top level paint, reworking the 2 problem areas, and reworking a few other areas by patching in metal.

I went with Maaco #2, here's why: First, he came recommended by my mechanic who had all of his show cars painted there. Turns out, I knew the guy from local car cruises as he lives down by me. Unlike Maaco #1, he took the time to go over the entire car, looked at everything in depth, and pointed out things I missed. He showed me how he was going to fix everything the right way, and introduced me to his shop people. He showed me a book of other classic cars he has done. He also took the time to explain the difference in the paint jobs. Although he was happy to sell me a less expensive service, he talked me in to the top of the line one. The difference is huge - the prep work, the number of coats, the clear coat, and the most important final step - buffing. Another big difference - warranty. I have a 5 year warranty on the paint. I asked him if he would send me pictures daily for my journal and if I could stop by and check on the car, and it was no problem.

I left the car with him, and 2 weeks later it was done. He sent pictures every day as promised, and finished it on time, even with a snow storm. Here are some pictures but they don't do it justice. To see it in the sun it looks awesome. I've gotten a lot of compliments on it at local shows. No one believes me that it was Maaco.

So my advice - check out all the local Maacos, make sure you see their work, meet their staff, and save up a little extra for the higher grade paint work. You won't be let down. Just a note - I did about 60% of the prep work, painted the trim and door jambs (door jambs would have been an extra $600), and did the striping myself.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 768
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 610
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor