Need info on converting power to manual steering

Status
Not open for further replies.

knowyourenemy66

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2011
Panama City, Florida
Look for a steering box from the square box style body s10, the early years '81 and up. Turning/steering won't be a problem while moving. It will be a little stiff when sitting still but will be fine as soon as you start rolling.

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
knowyourenemy66 said:
Look for a steering box from the square box style body s10, the early years '81 and up. Turning/steering won't be a problem while moving. It will be a little stiff when sitting still but will be fine as soon as you start rolling.

Does it mater if it's from a 2wd or 4wd or a square box style body s10 Blazer ?

knowyourenemy66

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2011
Panama City, Florida
I'm not sure about the 4wd or the blazer. The base model s10 is what I would look for. You may want to google some s10 forums and search there or ask about similarities and/or differences. Wish I knew more to tell you.

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
knowyourenemy66 said:
I'm not sure about the 4wd or the blazer. The base model s10 is what I would look for. You may want to google some s10 forums and search there or ask about similarities and/or differences. Wish I knew more to tell you.

Well thanks for taking the time to explain everything to me,an maybe these post will help someone else out too.Thanks again man Stay safe

oldiejams

Master Mechanic
Jan 21, 2011
Tucson
knowyourenemy66 said:
I have an '78 regal [street car] that I converted. I used the box and arm from an '85 s-10. Both arms are the same in my setup. This may not be true in all situations. The advantages are; no pulley drag from the pump to the crankshaft [free horsepower] and less weight [less weight is faster]. I have a very light regal, 2500 lbs. It has been gutted, has a fiberglass front clip and I run 4" wide tires on the front. Steers easily with one hand, just like power steering even when sitting still.

any one know about how much hp gain from removing power steering? weight is easy to calculate lol

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
oldiejams said:
knowyourenemy66 said:
I have an '78 regal [street car] that I converted. I used the box and arm from an '85 s-10. Both arms are the same in my setup. This may not be true in all situations. The advantages are; no pulley drag from the pump to the crankshaft [free horsepower] and less weight [less weight is faster]. I have a very light regal, 2500 lbs. It has been gutted, has a fiberglass front clip and I run 4" wide tires on the front. Steers easily with one hand, just like power steering even when sitting still.

any one know about how much hp gain from removing power steering? weight is easy to calculate lol

Power steering pumps can easily suck-up 20 to 30 horsepower.This i just read on a forum "How can I make "Free" horsepower"

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
oldiejams said:
knowyourenemy66 said:

check out the link: http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm/pag ... prd101.htm

knowyourenemy66

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2011
Panama City, Florida
Thanks for the link. I've heard of the alternator trick. Another way to gain some hp is to switch to an electric fan. No pulley drag on crankshaft. Lightening up is a good way to go fast. Go with aluminum waterpump, radiator and heads as I did. Fiberglass bumpers, fenders, hood etc.. save alot of weight. Of course, your budget will determine how light and fast you can go! 8)

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
yea i notice some hp gain difference when i got rid of my flex fan,now i am really wanting to get rid of my power steering to see how much more,i think i'll just take the belt off an try to tell that way lol.if i don't care for the manual steering i just switch back yea i got the aluminum water pump, radiator,an Fiberglass hood,they all help,Also some might not know there's a pretty big weight difference in steel rims an aluminum rims.I don't understand why them guys running 24's or bigger rims don't think about hp loss.it's just slowing there sh*t WAY DOWN,but if it ever floods they'll have no problem :) That's the only reason i can see that they want them lol hell i don't know

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
lol

Attachments

• pizap.com10.62961934320628641393467503083.jpg
    pizap.com10.62961934320628641393467503083.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 597
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor