Need info on converting power to manual steering

Status
Not open for further replies.

knowyourenemy66

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2011
Panama City, Florida
Just removing the belt won't give a true feel of manual steering. It will actually steer much harder. As far as the oversize wheels go, it's about looking a certain way :puke: , not performance. A complete waste of time and money to me. I would rather go faster and look plain than look flashy and go slow.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
The steering boxes are off the 82-88 S-10 's. Typically they came on the 4 cyl. Manual shift trucks. Look for the box style bodies. If you strike out ,I have and sell a lot of GBody suspension parts including manual boxes and jeep shafts..timo

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
skulledmonte84 said:
oldiejams said:
knowyourenemy66 said:
I have an '78 regal [street car] that I converted. I used the box and arm from an '85 s-10. Both arms are the same in my setup. This may not be true in all situations. The advantages are; no pulley drag from the pump to the crankshaft [free horsepower] and less weight [less weight is faster]. I have a very light regal, 2500 lbs. It has been gutted, has a fiberglass front clip and I run 4" wide tires on the front. Steers easily with one hand, just like power steering even when sitting still.

any one know about how much hp gain from removing power steering? weight is easy to calculate lol

Power steering pumps can easily suck-up 20 to 30 horsepower.This i just read on a forum "How can I make "Free" horsepower"

don't believe everything you read online

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
yea i know lol

Nov 4, 2012
Yeah, I'd think it would be much closer in the 3-5 hp range, but depends on the motor. When I first got my car, when I would turn the wheels lock left or lock right, the engine would stall if it wasn't warmed up. Doesn't do that anymore, I presume because of the general maintenance I've done to it (gaskets, sludge clean out, new exhaust, new valve guide seals, various filters, etc.). Although I've always liked manual steering cars; My buddy's '64 GTO has manual steering and it is awesome driving it. It also has manual brakes and transmission (I'll vouch for the manual trans, but I HATE manual brakes with a passion).

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If I get my car squirelly I'd want power steering so I have better control and can react quickly enough. Manual brakes is my choice cause it gives you better control over the brakes plus it gets rid of the weight of the brake booster. We had a 15 yo skinny kid driving our camaro super stock with manual brakes and he could lock them up any time he wanted

Nov 4, 2012
True, the manual brakes give you some more control, and the weight loss is nice. The thing I don't like about driving my buddy's car is it is really a workout. You have to know what the hell you are doing at all times, so you can't really just "hop in and go for a cruise". Nonetheless, it's a fun car and I think it is cool (maybe it's just dorky lol) to know how drive a completely manual vehicle.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
" You have to know what the hell you are doing at all times, " and that my friend is the difference between the old days and today. Now cars are so idiot proofed a Martian could drive right away. Manual steering is no different, but you can't spin the wheel with your pinky when parking, nor would you need to- because you would be an expert at parallel parking, by necessity. Just as you would know how to set the manual choke, and relax it as the motor warmed up. Same with manual brakes, if you make the master cylinder piston small enough, the mechanical advantage is so great my 88 year old Mom could lock up the brakes. Of course the pedal travel would be extreme, but would be considered "normal" after you got used to it. And let's not forget the biggest advantage of manual steering, brakes, and transmissions-WOMEN HATE IT! And will never ask to drive your car! :rofl:

Nov 4, 2012
Bonnewagon said:
" You have to know what the hell you are doing at all times, " and that my friend is the difference between the old days and today. Now cars are so idiot proofed a Martian could drive right away. Manual steering is no different, but you can't spin the wheel with your pinky when parking, nor would you need to- because you would be an expert at parallel parking, by necessity. Just as you would know how to set the manual choke, and relax it as the motor warmed up. Same with manual brakes, if you make the master cylinder piston small enough, the mechanical advantage is so great my 88 year old Mom could lock up the brakes. Of course the pedal travel would be extreme, but would be considered "normal" after you got used to it. And let's not forget the biggest advantage of manual steering, brakes, and transmissions-WOMEN HATE IT! And will never ask to drive your car! :rofl:

Oh, I completely agree, people who can't drive a car with manual everything aren't really driving, a buddy of mine used to say. I love being able to drive a manual trans, manual steering, manual brakes car. I would say a large percentage, possibly the majority of people can't. One reason I'm looking for a truck with a manual trans is so nobody else in my family can drive it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor