Status
Not open for further replies.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Re: New Speedo Gauge cluster VDO Silverstone gauges Hurst Ol

79cutlasssalon442 said:
Just a quick question. Any idea on the size for the tach? Trying to replace mine

vdo says they are 3-3/8 diameter

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio

90hurst/oldsguy said:
where did you get the nice looking guage cluster. that is awesome design

The gauge cluster is made of VDO silverstone gauge set. The gauges are set in a factory speedometer housing and the gauge face was custom made by a MFG in FLA. He will be selling the gauge sets as well as the backgrounds to gbodyparts. I am the guinnea pig to see how they work, install, etc. Ill be posting and test fitting as we go.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio

I received the gauges today and was able to install them with the only thing left to do is get the sending units installed. A few highlights to show about the install.

First an image to show before shots

backside of new gauges

THe front glass buffed and cleaned up

Most of the extra wiring was done with me left to wire the senders to the car itself

I had to cut out the gauge cluster housing frame. not a big deal, actually quite easy

Initial looks at the installed gauges

Final install pics

90hurst/oldsguy

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2013

how did you wire the sending units to the guage cluster.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio

90hurst/oldsguy said:
how did you wire the sending units to the guage cluster.

THe back of the cluster is wide open to the gauges connections so it is just a plug and play type thing.

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL

THis looks nice. So not cutting at all is required? This would be great. Also, I know you said you had custom gauges made, so would off the shelf autometer gauges work with this panel?

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio

V6UnderPressure said:
THis looks nice. So not cutting at all is required? This would be great. Also, I know you said you had custom gauges made, so would off the shelf autometer gauges work with this panel?

I chose VDO gauges for my install because of the quality, look, etc. You know for each it's own opinion. As long as the diameters are the same it would work. I know that Gbodyparts is carrying the laminate backrounds. As for cutting, there is some cutting involved. You will need to cut the entire back of a set of gauges out for you to have a mounting "bracket" to put the gauges into. I then cut another part of my dash to allow the clearance for the new gauges to fit into. Very simple. Gbodyparts should be coming onto this thread to clarify what is included with price, features, etc.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio

Ok, a few things noticed. If you have granny gauges make sure that you take the brown wire and hook it to 12v+ switched so you excite the alternator. If you dont you will think your alternator is bad and you will replace it :blam: Also make sure that you slip some color diffusers over the lights. It looks MUCH better when they are red.

Attachments

• IMG_20130419_214006_539.jpg
    IMG_20130419_214006_539.jpg
    553.2 KB · Views: 980
  • IMG_20130419_214058_825.jpg
    IMG_20130419_214058_825.jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 974
  • IMG_20130419_214142_507.jpg
    IMG_20130419_214142_507.jpg
    693.4 KB · Views: 955

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland

Do I see right that there's no trip OD hole in the "granny" plastic. I can't tell in the pics, but I don't think I see a hole. If so, good to know. Junk yard here I come. Unless GBodyParts will make or supply them as well.

Hutch

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio

Correct no hole in the lens. I also made a small hole in the bottom of the lens which allows me to come under the dash with a pen and push the trip odometer button. Nice clean stealth looklook

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor