next project-'83 Cutlass Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Nice find! Sounds like an interesting adventure to bring the car home. That's something I'd like to try sometime. The TBI swap looks pretty interesting too.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
EdontheBeach said:
c'mon down with me Jack! it'll be fun - we all hang out saturday then go to one of the members place out on the beach for burgers and brews. the el camino boys are an ugly lot, but they're friendly! check out this vid

Hi Ed,
It sounds very tempting. I'll have to let you know. West Palm is a bit of a haul from here....but it sounds like alot of fun. I'd like to meet some new people, exchange ideas, shoot the sh*t, check out some different rides, etc.

If I do make the trip, I'll look out for you and Brian. It would be nice to meet both of you guys.

Brian, your car looks killer.. 8)

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Jack - if you want to go, i have a room reserved a the super 8 close to the venue (and not far from the burgers) for sat night. i'm going to get up (very) early sat morn and drive straight there, then drive right back sun night - you're welcome to the other bed if you want to go.

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
SCORE! i went to the local (only) boneyard today and got a clean, straight hood for the cruiser! i almost walked away when i realized - i have a wagon with a rack (i may keep that rack). i couldn't believe it, the rest of the car (80 cutlass) was gone or ruined. when i was building my elky (around '03-'06) you could go to the yard and get a lot of g body panels, but the last 4 or 5 years it's dried up around here. still need a right front fender, but i was stoked to get this hood.

P3151984_zps931bcedc.jpg

P3151986_zpsb142a64a.jpg

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
EdontheBeach said:
Jack - if you want to go, i have a room reserved a the super 8 close to the venue (and not far from the burgers) for sat night. i'm going to get up (very) early sat morn and drive straight there, then drive right back sun night - you're welcome to the other bed if you want to go.
Thanks again for the offer, Ed,
I'll have to let you know. It' going to be a last minute decision. I did check out the video..a lot of cool rides.
Good score on the hood, BTW. Is it aluminum? G-body parts are getting kinda scarce in the local yards. I will keep an eye out for a fender and tailgate for you. The pickin's have been meager, for sure.
Talk to you soon, man.

Nov 4, 2012
Nice car, great score on the hood. Wagon stuff is scare around here in Pittsburgh, I wish we had more. I rarely see them. G bodies in junkyards are really rare here, and when there is one, everyone knows about it, and it is entirely parted in a matter of days.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hey Ed,
I was wondering if you've done any work on your wagon lately. How's it been going?

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Actually, no, I haven't. I'm still in the 'parts gathering' and 'make a plan' stage. There are so many things that need to be done and those I want to do that I will drive and live with it before I make a plan and get started. It's not going to be a frame off job. still need the RF fender, the one I thought I had a line on was from a 2 door Supreme.

There are a few things that have to go on the 'get after it' list. I want to get everything working properly 1st.

the TBI needs re-bushed and rebuilt (high idle problem) - though I think I found a place that will rebush the lower, then I can rebuild the rest.
rear wheel bearings need replaced (hopefully, just the outside bearings)
need to figure out why the cruise control was, but now isn't, working
the tach stops working when I turn the headlights on (though not every time I turn the lights on)
front end needs rebuilt (still reading about a ga-jillion posts on lowering, though not that many about lowering a wagon)
windsheild wipers work, but they don't work properly - though I did get the washer pumps up and working.
a/c clutch is noisy and probably bad
no stereo - i can't without tunes. the trip back from TX was a killer

THEN I can start on cleaning up the birds' nest wiring under the hood

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
One thing at a time. You have the right approach. Get after the car mechanically first. At least you'll be able to drive it while you're doing upgrades on it.
Having a plan is a good thing. No sense going about it willy nilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor