next project-'83 Cutlass Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
still messin' with it - a few things are out of the way.

rebuilt and rebushed the TBI, which settled the idle down nicely
rear axle bearings have been replaced - that just made it quiet enough to hear other things to deal with :)
u-joints have been replaced
the tach and headlights now work properly; once i isolated the tach and wired it direct to ign, grnd and tach.

having a heck of a time getting a RF fender - i thought i had it with a 83 Regal fender, but after i got it off i can see that it isn't the same; the search continues.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Glad to hear that you're getting a few things done. I haven't been to the boneyard in months..
Sorry I wasn't able to get over to Gainesville Raceway for the El Camino meet. I was tied up with the car.

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
A pretty good day at the boneyard.

I got a good, straight right front fender PLUS all four bumper/fender filler panels! Those things are impossible to find for an Oldsmobile, they’re not like a Malibu, you just can’t click to order and have them appear at your front door. I also got a straight header panel (I don’t need it, but you never seen them, you can’t order them and there it was) in perfect condition PLUS all the chrome and glass (which I DO need) in ready to ‘buff and show’ condition. The front bumper, which is peculiar to an Oldsmobile, was clean and straight, so I got that and the signal glass PLUS those fillers, too! I got both inner fenders just because they were straight and I was there anyway. I got the dash (the small part around the gauges) with no cracks; it’s the wrong color, but that can be cured. The left front fender was dinged and so was the hood or I would’ve taken those. A pretty good haul!

But Karma has a way off leveling things out for you…

When I got it all packed in The Cruiser and headed to the beach, I could see I was on the wrong side of Tampa, on I-4, at 4pm – on a Friday. Everybody around here knows that if you aren’t already over the bridge by 4, you’re hosed. It took 42mins just to get TO the Howard-Frankenstein….and that’s when the rain started. 

I could hear Karma snicker…

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Nice score Ed...sounds like your getting some of the stuff you need to bring that baby back!

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hi Ed,
Glad to hear that the parts gods were looking out for you. Sounds like you did very well at the boneyard. You gotta strike when you see this stuff staring back at you. I can't tell you how many times I've regrettably passed up good stuff.

I-4 is a horror show. That's one route that I've always tried to avoid like the plague. It reminds me of the Long Island Expressway, or distressway.

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
thanks fellas - it was a good day. i'm downstairs this morning getting it all clean enough to store inside. the main dash it self was really good on this car and i wanted it, but i don't know where the attach points are - so i left it in case somebody else might want it, then at least i didn't screw it up for them. :)

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
i went back today - it was drivin' me nuts that a flawless dash was just sitting there. there is no crack or wrinkle in it anywhere. i only have a slight hairline crack in mine and was going to buy a cap for it; and i still might, but this one is perfect. (adding a photo on this site is a pain in the patootie)

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Looks like a nice dash, Ed.
I don't blame you for going back to get it. :wink:

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Nice collection of parts Ed!

My house (basement) looks very much like yours...parts here and there..much to the dismay of my wife... :)

PM sent.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor