NO DRUM IN THE REAR

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
I replaced my rear brake lines, and my rear drums on my 85ss. My master cylinder was really low on fluid after that so I filled it. I gravity bled my rear brakes and it took about 10 to 15 minutes on each side for fluid to start coming out. I went to go drive it and I’ve got a spongy brake pedal and my rear drum brakes don’t work. And another question. Should the self adjuster be hard to turn?

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I replaced my rear brake lines, and my rear drums on my 85ss. My master cylinder was really low on fluid after that so I filled it. I gravity bled my rear brakes and it took about 10 to 15 minutes on each side for fluid to start coming out. I went to go drive it and I’ve got a spongy brake pedal and my rear drum brakes don’t work. And another question. Should the self adjuster be hard to turn?
nope, pull it apart, clean the threads and grease that sucker so it rotates smoothly

you were parked on a level surface, correct? whether yes or no, try parking with an uphill angle so that air bubbles will flow one direction back to the master cylinder.

Reactions: 1 user

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
nope, pull it apart, clean the threads and grease that sucker so it rotates smoothly

you were parked on a level surface, correct? whether yes or no, try parking with an uphill angle so that air bubbles will flow one direction back to the master cylinder.
So ur saying grease the threads on the self adjuster?. And do I crack the bleeder loose and then put it on an incline?

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Keep repeating the bleed process if air was introduced. I'd allow @ least 2x master cylinder refills to ensure air is purged.

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
My self adjuster is pretty hard to spin I have to use a screwdriver
That's normal under the tension when installed because of the spring pressure on the shoes. It should easily thread in/out prior to assembly.

I've come across a bunch of them in my experience/efforts that had crusty old grease which prevented them from being easy to turn. When I rebuild rear drum set-ups, I clean the adjuster threads w/brake cleaner, dry them off well, & put Anti-Seize on the threads to make sure they adjust easily.

I prefer pushing fluid out vs just the gravity method.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
It's the little valve inside the combination valve that needs to be held in place when bleeding. There's a tool for it.
If he's getting fluid @ the rears via gravity, I'd think that pin is not stuck.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor