NO DRUM IN THE REAR

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
++100 on the bleeder screw. Never thought of it before... Wish I had. Too many rust buckets from the 70's and 80's in the Chicago Area. Too many memories...

Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Cross section of hose. Kind of what Uncle Tony was talking about.

Notice how bad the inside is, but not noticed on the outside.

The comparison pics look a little bit photoshop, but you get the idea.

Screenshot_20231103-194715.png

Other pics attached...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231103-194746.png
    Screenshot_20231103-194746.png
    487.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20231103-194642.png
    Screenshot_20231103-194642.png
    596.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I've done the same, fluid there doesn't mean the air is out. Need some pressure to push the air out.
Agreed, My experience has been if that pin gets seated against one channel vs the other (F or R), you don't get anything past it until it's reset.
I don't think/feel 10min of gravity bleeding @ each bleeder/corner is adequate either.

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
You can't Gravity blead drum brakes you what ever cam out was just fluid not air air could have went back in actially..Let me suggest what to do put fluid in the mstr clyl. Then get under car all bleeder closed open one sides bleeder ( about a turn and a half ) have some one inside car step on brake peddle hold your index finger lightly over the open end of the cylinder tell them to let off the brake and keep this up till you get a couple good squirts of fluid then close the bleeder befor the peddle is let off.top cylinder off with fluid the do the opposite side. Gravity is for disc calipers only.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
You don't need to put it on an incline! Unless your close to a roller coaster. Level of the master cyl is higher than the bleeders that why they can gravity bleed. Everyone here is correct that take the adjuster aparts clean it and lube it ( I used white grease) and initially tighten them so that the drum fits but the shoes are not rubbing. then put your wheel on and rotate it until you hear the shoes lightly rubbing as you adjust. You canfine tune on the brake cable adjusting nut.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
As usual, the information and tips are plentiful as well as tried-and-true methods that people have employed on many occasions. However, we won't all agree on everything and that seems to be the case here.

My car sits with a rake, so if I don't jack up the front then the brake lines that run horizontally are actually aiming up in the rear. Opening the bleeder would accomplish nothing by itself, as an air bubble wouldn't travel downwards to the front of the car before rising to the master, and gravity isn't enough to guarantee it goes out the back. I'm not a fan of gravity bleeding either, be it drums or discs because it never seems to work completely, at least not in my garage. I also don't trust it on a fundamental level since I've seen air and liquid do incredibly odd things that seem to defy logic as well as physics. Adding pressure to the system seems more likely to avoid having trapped air bubbles and has always worked well for me. When at all possible, I prefer the 2 person method, 1 person and a stick, 1 person with a Mason jar half full of fluid, or at the very least: a 1 man brake bleeder/vacuum pump kit.

In recent years I've taken to using the spring loaded "speed bleeders" that you don't have to open and close repeatedly to bleed. I put a length of hose on them, run it to a collection device, and pump the pedal (just like the jar method but without the reversion) I've purchased them from Russell as well as in the HELP! section at parts stores with mixed results- I've occasionally witnessed air going back inside before the valve closed.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor