Poor gas mileage??

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliCuttie

Apprentice
Jun 10, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Hey G-Body people,
So my gas mileage has been a concern of mine for a while. I only recently started recording my gas mileage as I have needed to drive more often, and I'm getting anywhere between 8-10mpg. Its a stock Olds 307 vin Y. Mods are complete removal of emissions system, true dual exhaust, cat delete, flowmaster 40 mufflers, aftermarket air cleaner box, replaced air cleaner a couple of months ago, stock q-jet was supposedly rebuilt right before I bought it in July 2009. Very recently completely removed the emissions equipment and changed the valve covers with breathers (which were never put on by the previous owner when he removed the stock air cleaner box for some reason). I'm pretty dumbfounded to be honest, I periodically run Hy-Per fuel system cleaner or Seafoam but this really doesn't do much if anything for my MPGs. I realize going the speed limit and not punching it help. But I know these low compression smog motors can make way much more. My brother's old '86 Elco with the Chevy 305 got 19mpg on average. definitely something wrong
Thanks!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd remove a plug or two to see if it's running rich....and what rear end do you have?

CaliCuttie

Apprentice
Jun 10, 2009
San Francisco, CA
pontiacgp said:
I'd remove a plug or two to see if it's running rich....and what rear end do you have?
stock 2.14 :oops:

CaliCuttie

Apprentice
Jun 10, 2009
San Francisco, CA
pontiacgp said:
if your doing city driving those gears will kill the gas milage....
i live very close to san francisco. consequently, I do a bit of driving with streetlights whether in or out of the city limits. would a 3.73 be better for city driving in that case?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
with the overdive tanny I think most would suggest 3.42. The carrier you have now will go as low as 3.08 gears

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
As long as you aren't gassing on it from every stop the 2.14 gears won't hurt you (you have to drive it according to the gears really, it's not going to take off like a drag car, so don't try) :?
You said you have true dual exhaust? Is there still an o2 sensor in your exhaust? Are there any wires pluged into your carburetor? Sounds to me like it is all carburetor/fuel issue.

I have had plenty of Regal's with the stock drive-train and beat on them and never got that bad of mileage.

CaliCuttie

Apprentice
Jun 10, 2009
San Francisco, CA
RITTER said:
As long as you aren't gassing on it from every stop the 2.14 gears won't hurt you (you have to drive it according to the gears really, it's not going to take off like a drag car, so don't try) :?
You said you have true dual exhaust? Is there still an o2 sensor in your exhaust? Are there any wires pluged into your carburetor? Sounds to me like it is all carburetor/fuel issue.

I have had plenty of Regal's with the stock drive-train and beat on them and never got that bad of mileage.
as far as I know there's no o2 sensor. like I said I delted the emissions system. There's the two wires plugged into the carb. I'm assuming one is providing the electric choke just don't know which. Should I be concerned with spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter, etc?

86_olds

G-Body Guru
Jul 26, 2009
so cal
CaliCuttie said:
RITTER said:

as far as I know there's no o2 sensor. like I said I delted the emissions system. There's the two wires plugged into the carb. I'm assuming one is providing the electric choke just don't know which. Should I be concerned with spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter, etc?
i would remove on spark plug i guess if it running rich they should be wet

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
86_olds said:
CaliCuttie said:
RITTER said:

i would remove on spark plug i guess if it running rich they should be wet

or black

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor