Spring, Texas
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
20240203_145551.jpg

Some different angles. The ceramic coating really reflects.
20240203_145606.jpg

• Love
  • In Love
Reactions: 9 users

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Cold & rainy today. I won't be going to any cruise ins or car shows for about a month due to other events on the weekend schedule, so I figured it's time to get the carpet swapped out. Check out the floor pans. Really amazing this car came out of Minnesota. I found the build sheet, but it is molded onto the floorpan, no way to get it up without completely destroying it, so pictures will have to do. While they're out, the seat backs and console will get a good cleaning and touch up.
20240204_205823.jpg
20240204_205842.jpg

20240204_205953.jpg
20240204_205915.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Now he's just rubbing it in

Reactions: 1 user

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
I have replaced carpet in a couple of vehicles before, most recently my 96 Dodge Dakota. Don't recall it being as big a pain in the rear as this has been. The primary issue is the surplus material the carpet vendor leaves on. I put an ultra thin plastic sheet over the new carpet, dropped the old carpet in as a guide, and just cut a slit in the center of the two primary cut outs (shifter and rear console mount.) I didn't want to cut too much. I knew that there was some extra length, but jeez, I have put it in, take it out, trimmed off a bit, put it back in, trimmed some more 3 times before finally getting it where the molded curves fit where they are supposed to. Locating the seat mount studs was pretty easy. The holes for the inside seat belt mounts was a bit more difficult. Finally got the carpet laid in and settled last night. Of course, there is one spot where I came within 1/4" of cutting too much off, but fortunately the threshold covers it. Hope to get the seat backs painted, the console trim touched up and back together this weekend.

Reactions: 4 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
You're a better man than me, when I did mine I just made all the cuts in the car with an utility knife

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
About 70 degrees and no rain today, so seemed like best chance to do the seat back, console and dash cover touch up painting. I made a paint booth out of a 10 x 10 pop up awning and poly sheeting. I put a heater inside to get the temp up a little more and reduce humidity. Cleaned everything and went over with SEM Prep and SEM adhesion promoter, then sprayed with HVLP gun. Tedious, but the results are good, you can still see the grain in the panels. I threw in the dash cover since I've got a couple of hairline cracks in the instrument surround. I hope it is going to be a close color match. I was a little worried, because the base color was black it might be a touch darker.The main dash is still crack-free. Letting them dry a few hours, then comes the fun job of reinstalling. 20240303_154458.jpg 20240303_154422.jpg 20240303_154523.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Here's something that turned out better than expected. The chrome strip in the middle of the console was faded or worn in some areas. I was considering trying an airbrush and some chrome model paint, but came across some chrome pinstripe tape. The strip on the console is ~1/8-3/16", so I ordered 1/4" pinstripe tape. I did my best to line up the top edge. I was going to trim the bottom edge with a razor, but found that it folded under neatly, and that won't show & will be held in place when I put the console bottom section on. In a daily driver it might not last any longer than the original did, but I'm hoping it will stay and look good for years in my weekend cruiser. In the pic, you can see what the oem strip looked like in the section closest to the camera, and the new chrome pinstripe in the rear portion. I put the overlap in an area that will be hidden by the driver's seat. I actually didn't have another overlap. It was actually easier to line up than I expected.
20240303_182345.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
20240311_090529.jpg
Got the interior fully reinstalled this weekend. As usual, flash makes the colors look a bit lighter than they really are from some angles. Summary of interior work - prior work:
- Dakota Digital dash - gauges are same layout as OEM, just bigger and no idjit lights.
- Swapped out OEM stereo for 1.5 din "dealer option" unit with CD & cassette (+ added 10 disk changer, & upgraded speakers) found NOS 1.5 din cover panel in correct burl grain online.
- Added (& repainted) 3rd brake light from mid 80s
- Repainted sun faded panels
- replaced lower door panels with 1 speaker units
- Replaced thresholds & floor mats (Christmas 2022 gifts from my bride)

Recent work:
- Replaced carpet (smells much better now)
- Repainted seat backs
- Replaced chrome seat hinge covers
- Repainted console and replaced chrome strip
- Replaced/fixed wires to gear indicator light and console light
- Install instrument surround "Dashtop" cover (OEM cracked, main dash pad still good)

Only things planned for now are to install posi unit (Tru Trac) and upgrade rear speakers to 6x9. Not sure when I'll get to those. I haven't driven the car in over a month, so hope to do so this week. It's pollen season here, so it will get covered in yellow-green crud if I leave it parked outside very long.
20240311_090438.jpg
20240311_090448.jpg
20240311_090513.jpg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 8 users

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
For those interested, I have posted the original 260 diesel engine, transmission & rear axle from this car for sale in the classifieds. They only had 39,000 miles on them and were running well when removed. I don't really want to junk them, but need to get them out of my friend's warehouse soon.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor