Project "White Lightning"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Hey, maybe you can just keep the Chubby in your Olds. Save that 403 for an old Chevelle or Vette. :wink:

G-Body_Vet said:
I wouldn't bother with the computer if it was mine.
Why not? It would run pretty much exactly the same either way. Running your factory stock parts you already have is just easier, cheaper, and less hassle. The CCC system is like Rodney Dangerfield...it gets no respect.

I just had my original CCC modded by Cliff Ruggles. I will be installing it this weekend.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
The cam will probably be your tough choice; with the upgraded heads you probably want something relatively mild that can utilize the heads best but since it is a daily driver you definetly would want to keep it pretty low-key. So for a cam it would make sence to either go stock (which really wouldn't be all that bad) or something in the middle.

also as far as the computer goes i would base that on how stock your want the car to appear. I lost my coumputer for the sake of ease and tuneability and I am totally happy I went that route but I could understand why you might want to use the computer. I would say its probably just much less of a hastle to ditch the computer and go for the clean look.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
DoubleV said:
I just had my original CCC modded by Cliff Ruggles. I will be installing it this weekend.
This is something I may have to do in order to recurve the distributor, I figure I might be able to get away with it using a VIN 9 Carb/Distributor and computer with a stock cam but there will be an increase in air flow but that's no big deal considering the 02 sensor will keep the mixture in check. I belive the stock carb is a 750 CFM carb but I could be mistaken, 625 CFM rings a bell...

Regardless, I am just going to see how it works without putting on the ported #5's and a differnt cam, when I do go that route I am going to get a custom ground Ultradyne cam that DrDan from ROP is using in his 83 H/O with a 403. He's proven it to run low 12's and still get 23mpg with adult driving :)
231/239 @50 0.517/0.541 with a 105.5 intake centerline.

Money is another factor right now as well, I'm thinking mid summer pull the motor, swap in a 307 for a month while it's getting rebuilt and "get 'er done" the right way with cam, heads, intake, headers, x-pipe and a trans rebuild.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
DoubleV said:
Hey, maybe you can just keep the Chubby in your Olds. Save that 403 for an old Chevelle or Vette. :wink:

G-Body_Vet said:
I wouldn't bother with the computer if it was mine.
Why not? It would run pretty much exactly the same either way. Running your factory stock parts you already have is just easier, cheaper, and less hassle. The CCC system is like Rodney Dangerfield...it gets no respect.

I've seen people go the CCC route with mild 350's, but wouldn't you be leaving a lot on the table with a 403, better heads and a cam? Maybe it's feasible for a driver but I'd go with one of the 800 cfm castings that have the adjustable part throttle (APT) screw to get the most out of it. I'm not trying to start a pissing match with you but if there's something miraculous I don't know about improving the CCC carb I'm all ears. I haven't bothered with one of these carbs in over ten years.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
G-Body_Vet said:
I've seen people go the CCC route with mild 350's, but wouldn't you be leaving a lot on the table with a 403, better heads and a cam? Maybe it's feasible for a driver but I'd go with one of the 800 cfm castings that have the adjustable part throttle (APT) screw to get the most out of it.
Curious, are you speaking in regards to a CCC 800 CFM with APT?
I'm assuming I'd have to look for one on a truck or Suburban???

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I don't think the CCC carbs have the APT screw IIRC. I went and double checked my book and the carb that came with the 403 should be plenty for what you're doing with the right mods. The book written by Cliff says the 750 CFM can support up to 650hp. I got lucky with the one on my 455 because it already had the 800 cfm carb. The 750 had a 1 3/32" primary bore and the 800's had a 1 7/32's primary bore. The post '76 carbs are the desirable ones.

Here's more info about the carb and the APT set-up
http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/te ... ory_4.html

I'm no carb expert, just quoting what I read.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
So far I have the interior out and the front end taken apart and prepped for paint, the first coat went on last night and another will follow today and tomorrow the A/C box will go in and the floor will get prepped.

Dirty

Clean

Attachments

• EBDFC.JPG
    EBDFC.JPG
    353.5 KB · Views: 1,866
  • EB Cradle.JPG
    EB Cradle.JPG
    361.9 KB · Views: 1,858
  • EBFirewallclean.JPG
    EBFirewallclean.JPG
    358.6 KB · Views: 1,880
  • EBclean.JPG
    EBclean.JPG
    367 KB · Views: 1,869

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Nope unfortunately the car was a victim of someone ruining another restorable 442...
Here I'm tryin to put them back on the road and others are doin the opposite for a rear thats completely overrated and non-economical... sad :x

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I know what you mean. When I was into the SS's I'd see plenty of them trashed and parted out more often than I'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor