Not open for further replies.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
G-Body_Vet said:
I've seen people go the CCC route with mild 350's,

People have used them on 455's too!

but wouldn't you be leaving a lot on the table with a 403, better heads and a cam?

No, you wouldn't be leaving anything on the table on a street build, All the computer does is control part throttle fuel metering and timing advance. To do this properly, all the ECM needs is a decent vacuum signal ( so no HUGE cams ) and to keep the compression ratio at a reasonable level because of the agressive timing curve. So as you can see, it doesn't have anything to do with cubic inches.

Maybe it's feasible for a driver but I'd go with one of the 800 cfm castings that have the adjustable part throttle (APT) screw to get the most out of it.

CCC carbs are 800 cfm castings and don't have the APT. The ECM meters the fuel, so it's just like having an APT though.

I'm not trying to start a pissing match with you

We're good! I didn't take any offense to what you said.

but if there's something miraculous I don't know about improving the CCC carb I'm all ears. I haven't bothered with one of these carbs in over ten years.

Nothing too miraculous about them IMO. It's just many don't realize how they work. I always hear people saying such things as 'the ECM is 'calibrated' for a 307' or 'my CCC engine only gets 10 mpg, so they suck' etc. Many only know what they've 'heard' about the CCC system, and it's usually wrong.

Now with all this said, to make a large CID/high performance engine run it's best on the CCC system, carb mods are usually recomendend, but not a must in all cases. I'd like to point out 2 things though; 1) even the stock engine can benefit from carb mods, and 2) and even non CCC Qjets need modding to perform there best in most applications.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Thanks for the response. I was one of the people that "misunderstood" them as well.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Floors, fire wall and engine bay are all painted, I've been painting small stuff lately and preping an 87 307 to use while I build the 403 and collect exhaust parts. The 403 will run on the computer, I've spoken to a few that have done it and one guy is running low 12's on it. I want it done right so I'm thinking the beginning of August it will be complete but I want to drive it in the mean time.
I'll have it running by the end of this week and put the interior in next week and have it on the road by the end of next week, at least I hope... I have all the parts just need to find the time.

Attachments

• Painted engine bay.jpg
    Painted engine bay.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 1,722
  • Painted engine bay floor.jpg
    Painted engine bay floor.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 1,730

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
88hurstolds said:
. The 403 will run on the computer, I've spoken to a few that have done it and one guy is running low 12's on it.

Who's running low 12's on the computer and what are his build specs? Quickest I've seen posted was 12.9 on the computer from Prop Joe.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
DoubleV said:
88hurstolds said:
. The 403 will run on the computer, I've spoken to a few that have done it and one guy is running low 12's on it.

Who's running low 12's on the computer and what are his build specs? Quickest I've seen posted was 12.9 on the computer from Prop Joe.
Dr.Dan, he had his 403 on the computer with his older 403 and was running 12's before his block cracked.
I believe his best time was 12.03 with the current motor which is the same but just has a little larger cam, not sure if he's still using the computer with that motor. I have the cam specs on my computer at work, his combo is on ROP.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
The 87 442 VIN 9 307 is in along with a number of other small items besides what's in the photo, got allot done last night. So far the engine is all wired and plummed, AC is going in along with the core support trans lines and radiator this weekend. Gotta bleed the master cylinder as well... hope to have the front clip back on by early next week and start on the interior.
I pulled the trans pan on the 85 442 OZ TH2004R and the fluid wasn't burnt but there was a layer of black gunk on the bottom, no shavings or pieces of band in the pan though.
Not sure if the previous owner had changed the filter and fluid or not, torque converter wasn't stock, not sure what the stall is but it's not stamped 5 along the perimeter for a D5 converter. I switched it with a rebuilt correct D5 converter, we'll see what happens...

Attachments

• IMAG0159.jpg
    IMAG0159.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,577

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
I just got a 85 442 for $2000 and about All I am going to be able to salvage is the rear and the title LOL

Boy I wish I had could get a solid one like that to play with for $1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor