quick ratio steering gear box question

Status
Not open for further replies.

78_oldcruiser

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2010
Seven Springs NC
just had a quick question on the quick ratio steering gear box.... is there that much noticeable difference between the standard steering gear box and the 12.7-1 quick ratio gear box? i have already ordered it so its going on anyway i was just wondering if i should get my hopes up or not? i know the 78 cutlass gear box was 14.4-1. the box i will be running is from a 78 monte carlo... i know some people are going to post up here that ill have trouble fitting it but i wont. the 78 mc ran 2 sizes... the quick ratio and the standard with the same part # as the 78 cutlass gear box. not worried about if it will fit just asking how much of a diff it will make. it will be here on tuesday and hope to have it on wensday not bad deal for $117 for a reman :mrgreen: thanks

78_oldcruiser

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2010
Seven Springs NC
just wanted to add the 78 cutlass/mc standard gear box is 3 - 4 turns lock to lock and the 78 mc quick ratio is 2.5 - 3 turns lock to lock

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
There will be a huge difference between the boxes...I just put a Z box from a 92 Iroc in my GP. It has a 2 1/4 LTL and a heaver feel than other close ratio boxes. I don't have the turning radius I had with my old close ratio box because of the stops in the box but my tires rubbed in a full turn and now they don't...

78_oldcruiser

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2010
Seven Springs NC
very cool! so i guess its like one of those ... your going your going you turn and zoom lol. very cool. trying to build up a nice street wagon kinda like a gumball racer lol right now with the standard in mine wagon it locks out at 3 turns so im hoping the quick ratio will get it done in 2.5 or a little less lol. they are suppose to be 2.25 - 2.75 but they mark them as 2.5 - 3 ltl so we will see lol. my box is wore completely out so figured if i have to put in another 1 it was going to be a better 1. what year gp do you have? have to mess with any ps hose adapters? the one im getting is a direct bolt, didnt want to have to mess with adapters. hate fooling with adapters, always a leak somewhere :roll:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it's an 86 GP and the hoses fit no problem. The different fittings on the Saginaw boxes were from the A and B body years so you should have any problem. I find the the easiest way to replace the box is to remove the pitman arm from the box and leave it connected the center link. Just make sure you have the new box with the steering rotated to the same location as the box you are removing. There is a keyway in the spline on the pitman arm shaft but there is more than one keyway so you need to line it up the same..

one thing you will notice on a close ratio box is on the highway you can't let the steering wheel move too much or you'll be constantly correcting unlike the old ratio you had

78_oldcruiser

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2010
Seven Springs NC
would it be better to turn the wheel all the way to lock and then take the box off and turn the new all the way to lock for install or will that throw the other side off?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I left mine in the center with the steering wheel locked....you can do it anyway as long as you keep the two boxes set the same....if you are going to put it to one side then I'd turn the left wheel out so it's not in your way...

78_oldcruiser

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2010
Seven Springs NC
great! thanks buddy! cant wait to get it in. the 1 thats in it is so far gone its more like keep it between the ditches cause it sure wont stay between the lines lol been ajusted all out lol btw that damn box ant 80 pounds is it? the shipping weight says 80 pounds but i dont believe it lol. will i need to lift both fronts up off the ground or as long as i can get to the box its find on the ground?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I just jacked up the left side of the car and left the right side front wheel on the ground so the wheels didn't shift...I did jack up both front wheels after the job was done so it's less strain on the parts and I could easily turn the steering lock to lock to bleed the system.

78_oldcruiser

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2010
Seven Springs NC
great! thanks! i will let you know how it turns out :D cant wait! wish it was here right now so i could get it done lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor