Rear end swap question

Status
Not open for further replies.

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
I have read every thread on here on rear end swaps but am still confused. I am building a vortec to go in my GP and am expecting around 375 HP. I plan to drive the car and will punch it at times but never plan to race. I currently have an open 7.5" with 2something gears. Now I know an 8.5" out of a G body will bolt in but none to be found. I read that I can put and 8.8" out of a Mustang in with an upper arm kit but they all seem to be four lug. I found a Thunderbird turbocoupe at the local yard but it is four lug also. :cry: So here is the question. Is there a Mustang or thunderbird or other ford with the five lug 8.8 and with upper arm brackets and the correct length? Or with my set up and street tires am I OK getting a posi carrier out of an S10 and changing gears in my housing?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you are looking for a complete bolt in rear end then I would stick with a gbody 8.5 or an aftermarket 9" but for 375 horse I would save your money and build up the 7.5 with a decent carrier and gears and maybe upgrade the axles and it will be more than adequate for your power level and you can also get a rear end support cover and brace kit for added power.
I had my 7.5 with an Auburn carrier and Richmond 373 gears everything else stock behind a 496 Big Block Chevy and never broke the rear end because it never hooked but on a track with slicks might have been a different story.
You can always sell your newly built 7.5 down the road if you decide to step up the power and do a serious rearend upgrade.

Dec 22, 2012
I agree with the 7.5 for your application. I have a 454 pushing about 400 estimated horse and the 7.5 stood up to full blown bracket racing. I had Moser axles with C-clip eliminators, 4.10 gears, supported diff cover, Mini spool, welded axle tubes and no hop bars. It ran mid 12s @1350 ft above sea level and the only thing I ever hurt was slight damage on the mini- spool itself because it hooked really hard with the slicks.

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
Well thats two for a beefed up 7.5. I figured after reading all of the old stuff that the 7.5 would be trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor