Recommendation: Electric Fans

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
leaning more aftermarket route , thanks for sharing these brands
If you buy aftermarket, then buy a quality setup. I’ve found the budget setups to not be reliable.

Finding a set of fans, choose your model, from a JY has always been reliable for me. Or go with a new set of OE. The Intrepid and 4th Gen Camaro units have worked well for me.

Reactions: 3 users

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
I just installed these 2 for $40 amazon 12" specials that had high review ratings, along with a dual relay kit for $20. Definitely cheaper end stuff but not bad quality. The fans were missing a mounting tab so I fabbed up a little bracket system and mounted them with some stainless strap. After some testing the car seems to be sitting around 195 at idle and around 180 while driving in 90 degree weather. Could be better with a shroud but so far so good. I've run similar set ups before and had mixed results.

Some fans pull more current from your alternator than air through the radiator, especially some of the older oem style stuff. It's hard to go wrong with the high dollar name brand kits if budget allows.

Don't skimp on the wiring job. Solid connections and thick gauge wire makes all the difference, and you should upgrade your battery - to body, engine and chassis ground as well as your + charging lead from alternator to battery.
thanks for the tips

when i upgraded my alternator also did 0 gauge wiring all around.

what you have is what i need , basic and simple

Reactions: 1 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Intrepids on my 87SS, no problem with OEM alternator keeping up with all the other electricals working on high like hi-beams, hi speed AC blower etc. Temp sensor turns on fan automatically at 180. Relays supply power. Small home made brackets bolt directly to existing radiator support frame. Here in Central TX where we were in the 100s for a few weeks never went over 190 with AC on in traffic!

Attachments

• 20200120_152743.jpg
    20200120_152743.jpg
    862.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Fans Lower View (1).jpg
    Fans Lower View (1).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 45
  • RelayMounting (2).jpg
    RelayMounting (2).jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Temp Sending Unit.jpg
    Temp Sending Unit.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 46

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
Intrepids on my 87SS, no problem with OEM alternator keeping up with all the other electricals working on high like hi-beams, hi speed AC blower etc. Temp sensor turns on fan automatically at 180. Relays supply power. Small home made brackets bolt directly to existing radiator support frame. Here in Central TX where we were in the 100s for a few weeks never went over 190 with AC on in traffic!
if u can do all that with stock alternator , i should be golden

texas heat ain’t no joke!!

thx for sharing

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Now that's a clean engine bay!

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
any leads anyone on a radiator hold down plate? took off the shroud, seeing some on amazon for like $50

KUAFU Radiator Support Compatible with 1978-1988 G-body Mirror Stainless Steel Bead Rolled Upper Radiator Bracket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BPLF32KV/?tag=gbody-20
Ebay... just ordered one tonite $30 with a $6 coupon. Supposed to be stainless. There are a bunch on there and they're all half price of Amazon it seems.

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
Related: it was common knowledge at one time that above 30 mph the cooling fan wasn't actually cooling but,the flow was from movement.cooling fans were the object of town driving (slow),and traffic idle ing. I would say there are some differences to different fan setups that make this and interesting subject.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
any leads anyone on a radiator hold down plate? took off the shroud, seeing some on amazon for like $50

KUAFU Radiator Support Compatible with 1978-1988 G-body Mirror Stainless Steel Bead Rolled Upper Radiator Bracket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BPLF32KV/?tag=gbody-20
dixie restoration depot and mike's Monte's are a good source for g body specific parts such as that top plate and they have good customer service to back it up.ask anyone around here they treated people well.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor