Rocker arm put a hole in my valve cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
Alright so, got home today and noticed the car sounded kinda funny. so I popped the hood and noticed a lot of oil on the drivers side of the intake, WTF? Took the air cleaner off, bottom covered in oil. So I'm looking around and see this...

And all of the rockers had grooves worn in the valve cover but this one popped.

Does anyone know what would cause this? Hope to get this resolve since it's my only vehicle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    953.4 KB · Views: 549

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the rocker probably pulled the stud out. Remove the valve cover and it should be apparent what caused it

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
pontiacgp said:
the rocker probably pulled the stud out. Remove the valve cover and it should be apparent what caused it

Valve cover is off and the rockers are all still on tight. And all push rods are in tight and accounted for.

I also pulled the other valve cover off an there is no wear like the messed up side.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if all the rockers and pushrods are in place then look for a broken spring.....but then if a spring broke the valve usually drops

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
Do I need to use the blue sealant(rtv?) when putting on new valve cover gaskets?

I picked up some used valve covers for $30 off Craigslist. They're the "M/T" ones.

Nov 4, 2012
If you are using rubber gaskets, you don't need sealant, but rubber valve cover gaskets SUCK, they always leak. Use cork gaskets with a thin coat of blue RTV, or better yet, permatex ultra black, it's a great sealant, only stuff I'll use. Cork gaskets with a thin layer of RTV, and you'll be rockin' and rollin' 8)

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
Damn I already bought the rubbers(that's what HE said lol) and the RTV. oh well.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Kansas Bu Wagon said:
Damn I already bought the rubbers(that's what HE said lol) and the RTV. oh well.

I bought the rubber gaskets and spent time trying to get them to work....at least your only out the $$$ and won't have to deal with the frustration... :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor