sway bars

Status
Not open for further replies.

83grandprix383

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2010
Paynesville, MN
I am looking to purchase a sway bar for my 83' grand prix with a 9" rearend. Was wondering what brands are the best, i am looking to get rid of body roll because when i have people in the back seat the tires like to rub. Thanks

86 regal

Greasemonkey
Oct 23, 2009
Hanover, NM
Anybody have good or bad things to say about any brands? Is it better to get solid or tubular? What are things to look for when buying sway bars? Will a good set of sway bars help body roll?

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
i got some tubular hotckis front and rear sway bars. there easy to install and come with all the hard wear. i got picks in my build thread, links in my sig.

86 regal

Greasemonkey
Oct 23, 2009
Hanover, NM
Could you notice a big difference with the body roll? thats what were trying to do, dont wanna spend all the money for them and not fix the problem. Trying to figure out if thats the way to go or if we should do something else? Thanks

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Do traditional 10 bolt bars fit with the 9"? If so I think the UMI bars are the best bang for the buck. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go with stiffer springs too.

86 regal

Greasemonkey
Oct 23, 2009
Hanover, NM
we've tryed the factory sway bars out of an SS< they didn't clear our 9", looking for something with a little bit more, not sure if that was what you had or not? By the way... we are guys with normal jobs and don't have tons of money to spend, just looking for some help, i tried the search and didn't find too much there so if you could help us out that would be great, any help you could give us would be verey appreciated!

Grandprixpaul

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2011
Commerce township , mi
I've been told , and read about guys using , t/a or iroc z front sway bays in the front of g-bodys not sure if the back will be any bigger for you though might be something to look into, .

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
My easiest, cheapest suggestion is to get HD rear springs. If you're still using the stockers they're probably shot. Springs aren't as expensive as you think either. I got new Moog springs on ebay really cheap. Rock Auto is usually good with prices too. If you don't want to eat the shipping, print out the price & item and have Advance Auto price match it.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I would have to agree on the HD springs. It also looks like your rear wheels stick out a bit. If you load the rear seat with passengers , it's going to cause the rear of the car to squat down. If you jump on it with the the extra load in the rear those rear tires are going to want to make contact with the wheel well openings. Your springs are probably a bit too soft.
And as far as body roll is concerned, that's something that could be rectified with better springs, shocks, and of course adding a rear sway bar.
Adding airbags in the rear might be another solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor