th200 to th350 swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SS Elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2017
I have I have what I hope is a simple problem. I'm swapping out a 305 for a 350 motor and want to swap the th200 for a th350. I have an older th350 that is rebuilt that I want to put in. The dipstick tube that I have with it I don't think is going to fit and I don't think the dipstick tube out of the 200 will fit either. The car is an 85 El Camino. Has anybody done this swap that knows what dipstick tube will work or which one I need? I'm in a bit of a time crunch and if the 350 is going to pose too much problem I'll end up leaving the 200 in.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I have I have what I hope is a simple problem. I'm swapping out a 305 for a 350 motor and want to swap the th200 for a th350. I have an older th350 that is rebuilt that I want to put in. The dipstick tube that I have with it I don't think is going to fit and I don't think the dipstick tube out of the 200 will fit either. The car is an 85 El Camino. Has anybody done this swap that knows what dipstick tube will work or which one I need? I'm in a bit of a time crunch and if the 350 is going to pose too much problem I'll end up leaving the 200 in.

If by th200 you mean the 3 speed th200c, and not the 4spd 200-4r, AND the th350 you got has the 6" tailshaft, and not the optional 9" or 12" tailshaft versions, then it's pretty easy and straight forward.

Crossmember can be used, might need to play with linkage a little and switch out the kick down cable

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
I don't think that 200 will like your 350 engine. To change to a turbo 350, you will need a dipstick, a kick down cable , and a vacuum line for the modulator. Everything else will work. Definitely worth the effort. I bought a factory style dipstick from ss396.com. Fit and looked just like a factory one. I would never recommend a th200 for anything but removal.
I worked at an auto trans shop in the early 80's. We rebuilt very few th200's. Most customers opted for a turbo 350 changeover. You will be better off in the long run...timo22

• Creative
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

SS Elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2017
I don't think that 200 will like your 350 engine. To change to a turbo 350, you will need a dipstick, a kick down cable , and a vacuum line for the modulator. Everything else will work. Definitely worth the effort. I bought a factory style dipstick from ss396.com. Fit and looked just like a factory one. I would never recommend a th200 for anything but removal.
I worked at an auto trans shop in the early 80's. We rebuilt very few th200's. Most customers opted for a turbo 350 changeover. You will be better off in the long run...timo22
Thanks timo22 & ck80, I forgot to post the first time that I'm running a G-Force crossmember so that I can install dual exhaust. The transmission that's in it is the 3-speed metric th which was why I opted to go with the turbo 350 especially since I already have one that is rebuilt and ready to go in. The dipstick tube that I have with that trans did not look like it was going to fit with the AC box on the firewall. I was hoping to be able to use the original out of the th200 but I think the bottom of the tube is angled where it goes into the trans housing and on the 350 I think it's flat. I don't have the th350 here as I took it back to the trans shop to have him check it out because it's been sitting on the shelf unused since it was rebuilt for quite a few years. The trans already has the kickdown cable on it. My other question is can I use the throttle/kickdown bracket from the 200 for the th350?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes, you can use your throttle cable and kick down bracket. Get a dipstick like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-GM-Fl...H350-transmission-SBC-BBC-Trans-/130750478590
Or bend your current tube to fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor