The Story of "Guss" (1979 Malibu Wagon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fig865

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 23, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks Blake! Guss has been cruising around the cities lately as he was my daily driver up until last week. Now that I don't need to drive it every day, I'm hoping to get some more done with it.

Last thing done was replacing the rear tailgate latch handle. When I got the car, it was all busted up with the key broke off in it. It opened easily with a ratchet and 3/8" extension or a big screwdriver. Too easily :wink:

Before pic:
2011-10-26150615.jpg

After pic:
2011-10-26152149.jpg

Now I'm not too happy about the replacement one I picked up at AutoZone from their "Help" line. It fits a little sloppy and the key doesn't work in it. For $12 though, it was worth it just for a working handle. I'm not sure what to do about the key not working though. I might try exchanging it.

1980PontiacWagon

Greasemonkey
Mar 23, 2011
My rear lock busted 2 months ago...I found one on ebay and replaced it...doesn't sit level so it kind of annoys me. But i did get door locks to match so I don't have a random key. nice wagon though.

fig865

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 23, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
1980PontiacWagon said:
My rear lock busted 2 months ago...I found one on ebay and replaced it...doesn't sit level so it kind of annoys me. But i did get door locks to match so I don't have a random key. nice wagon though.

Thanks man!

I should maybe clarify. I wouldn't really mind the extra key only being used at the back. The new latch came with a set. My problem is the keys that came with the new lock don't work in it. I'll play around with it some more before I go back to Autozone. Just in case I'm missing something simple. That's always possible.

pyrofenix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Is it even possible to buy the hatch lock with the door locks in a 'package'? I just got a malibu wagon and the door lock keys were missing (luckily it sits in my garage for now). Sorry for the thread hijack!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
pyrofenix said:
Is it even possible to buy the hatch lock with the door locks in a 'package'? I just got a malibu wagon and the door lock keys were missing (luckily it sits in my garage for now). Sorry for the thread hijack!
======================================================================================================
I don't think so. I think you have to purchase them individually. Besides, the original chrome tailgate lock is NLA, that's why guys resort to buying the aftermarket lock form Advance or Autozone.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Longroof79 said:
pyrofenix said:
======================================================================================================
I don't think so. I think you have to purchase them individually. Besides, the original chrome tailgate lock is NLA, that's why guys resort to buying the aftermarket lock form Advance or Autozone.

Just take your lock cylinders to a locksmith and they can re-key them all to use the same key.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Blake442 said:
pyrofenix said:

Just take your lock cylinders to a locksmith and they can re-key them all to use the same key.[/quote]
=========================================================================================================
Duh! Why didn't I think of that? :oops:

fig865

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 23, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
With the rear tailgate latch being the same as a late 80's S-Blazer, what are the chances the door looks could be used also? If so, find a donor Blazer with keys and take all 3 items out.

fig865

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 23, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Well, I've actually made a little progress this spring. Finally got the rust free fenders on and the header panel replaced. I've been driving it alot and I'd much rather be multicolored over rusty and busted. I'll update with some pics soon. Less than a week after I changed those parts, I picked up a good hood for $25. I'll get that on sometime soon also. I've been browsing around on here and other sites again and it's re-sparking my ambition a little.

The 267 keeps running so good that my motor plans are on hold. I've been driving my wagon daily and that's about 90 miles. First thing that might get done in that department is something with the exhaust. I'm tired of hearing the fan over the exhaust. We'll see how that tired little V8 sounds with the flow opened up a little.

I'm hoping I keep on it and the slow progress continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor