The Story of "Guss" (1979 Malibu Wagon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJR80MALIBUWAGON

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 28, 2013
Looks like a clean body. Had mine repainted in the original brown and get a lot of positive comments. Looks like the plastic pieces at each corner at the bumper
are still there. Are yours original or did you find a source? Mine are all broken or missing. Would love to know part numbers and who sells or makes them.

Thanks
Jerry

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
GJR80MALIBUWAGON said:
Looks like a clean body. Had mine repainted in the original brown and get a lot of positive comments. Looks like the plastic pieces at each corner at the bumper
are still there. Are yours original or did you find a source? Mine are all broken or missing. Would love to know part numbers and who sells or makes them.

Thanks
Jerry
Have you seen the posting for an '83 Malibu wagon being parted out? There's your source for bumper fillers right there.
I don't need them because my bumpers are narrowed and tucked... my fillers have been eliminated.

fig865

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 23, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
GJR80MALIBUWAGON said:

Thanks
Jerry

My filler pieces are all original. Good luck with finding some for yours. What I do need to do something with is the black plastic that runs along the front and rear bumpers. As you can see, they are each missing part of them.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

My filler pieces are all original. Good luck with finding some for yours. What I do need to do something with is the black plastic that runs along the front and rear bumpers. As you can see, they are each missing part of them.[/quote]
=========================================================================================================
I think the rubber bumper strips would be more difficult to find(new or in good usable condition) than the bumper fillers.
You're either going to have to be creative, or remove the strips entirely and weld up the holes.

N3M3S1S

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2013
Wilmington, DE
That looks fantastic. Hell I think you could leave it just like that and it'd be perfect for a long time.

olymalibu

Apprentice
Nov 18, 2012
hi,
very nice car,i love the wheels
i had the same problem with the bumper rubber and
have they replace with a chrom rubber from 3M and i think it was a good choice
dsc_2097bnsmg.jpg

best regards andreas

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Andreas,
The chrome strip looks like a good alternative. How was it able to cover the bolt heads?

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
:lol: :lol: I should have figured that you ground the heads down... :D It looks good...better than a broken/ missing rubber trim.

fig865

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 23, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
So, a full 2 summers have went by and I failed to get any updates posted. Visually Guss hasn't changed much. Same look but now with a little weathering of a driver. But, last spring we did the heart transplant. I got some custom exhaust made with Porter Mufflers and I loved the sound (even from the tired 267). But about a week later an exhaust manifold cracked. While replacing it I was fighting with old rusty bolts and just said screw it, motor swap. My old race motor had been sitting in the garage for a couple years but is now in the wagon. We had to use stock carbs when I raced and I preferred the response and control of the old Rochester 2GC so that's what I used all last summer. I'm thinking a new 4bbl might be needed soon as I have an Edelbrock intake already waiting. While Guss runs a little rich it drives nice and I still have no problem going on a 1000 mile road trip at the drop of a hat.

Next up, I'm thinking of doing the following:
- Electric fan upgrade. (I'm just tired of how noisy my mechanical fan is)
- New carburetor (Just finding it hard to spend the money on it when the 2bbl runs fine)
- Tint windows to cool it down a bit and hide the interior a little.
- Do something with the bumper trim (I like the idea Andreas posted earlier in this thread)
- Little maintenance stuff like dash lights that have burnt out and tighten or replace the tilt column that has gotten sloppy.

If you can't tell, I'm excited to bring Guss out for the summer. He'll be back on the MN roads next weekend.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor